NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 10973 times)

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »

I finally got my hands on a Heady Topper. A friend came out from Burlington last week with her kids, and I helped guide them around for the day (read: I was a belay bunny for a bunch of 4-8 year olds for an hour or two). In addition to gaining friend points, it earned me a 4 pack of Heady Topper.

Now, I  get it that this is a great IPA. I also understand that most people really like hoppy beers. And I get it that this one is hard to get.

Which is why I feel like the other 3 cans are wasted on me. I just don't love it as much as other people do. If you have a DFH 120, I'll trade you two Heady Toppers for it. The other one is going to Ken at the Rumney General Store as  a thank you for the bottle of 120 he gave me last month.

Don't get me wrong: It's a good beer. Good stuff, but wasted on someone who doesn't appreciate it.
We came to climb, not to whine.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #391 on: April 28, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »

Ho Man-- i'm going to utah for a few days and I"m bringing the Beer !! YEAH...Shit on my way out, i pass, directly 12 brewpubs,2 wineries and 2 distleries..holly shit  4 people ..$200 should do it ?
Still might do some gatorade marg's though

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #392 on: May 02, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »

On travel for work and picked up a Maine Beer "Zoe" yesterday (ironically, hard for me to find at home in NH.) As previously established, I am not the biggest fan of an overly hoppy beer (which this one is) but I loved it!

Anyone know where to buy Maine Beer in NH?

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »

New Hampshire has a limited beer distribution network. It's getting better but still poor compared to a lot of other states. If you want to know if a particular beer is distributed in NH, call Bert's Better Beers and they will be able to tell you. 

http://www.bertsbetterbeers.com/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 02:29:22 PM by JBrochu »
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2014, 04:20:01 PM »

Pete and JB,

Yeah - NH has some strange laws in regards to beer distribution (no DFH 120 IPA as I know now, no Founders Breakfast Stout due to label - but you can buy vodka in a machine gun bottle!).

As for Maine Beer - its not so much that its hard to get in NH - its just plain hard to get. They're quite small in regards to brewing capacity. The place I buy my beer at actually puts me on a list for when they get Main Lunch delivered. And sometimes they only get eight bottles or so - and the list can be quite long!

Bert's is a great place and nice folk. I stop there at times. But since I have The Drinkery close by its where I buy most of my "good" beers.

Oh and with 603 Brewing moving to Londonderry from Campton its a great place to go have a "place mat tour" when the tasting room is open. They've had some very nice small batches of spring and summer beers that are awesome.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:25:21 PM by markvnh »

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »

I actually had a Founders Breakfast Stout on draft last week at Truants Tavern. I wonder if they can't get the bottles in due to the labels, but it's ok for the kegs?
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »

JB,

Founders Breakfast Stout is ok to sell in NH in kegs. It's strictly the bottle label that keeps it off the shelf. A caricature of a baby eating oatmeal.

My friend who owns the beer store has actually testified in Concord to some committee and it looks like eventually they will change the law to allow bottles to be sold.

Interestingly not too long after my friend started online and in store petitions - along with enlisting other beer retailers - he had a visit from "the man" who wasn't happy about what he was doing. For what reason who knows!

Mark

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »

beer is good

Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #398 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »

JB and Mark: Thanks for the tips! I'm just back from travel to MD, where I did the tour-de-Dogfish: found 120 on tap, also Midas Touch and Raison d'Etre. All very good.

But that's not new beer news. If you're sport climbing in Rumney this summer, the Common Cafe just opened a bar upstairs that has the standard NH/VT drafts (Switchback, Tucks, Long Trail, etc). Nothing too exotic, but many good local choices. </ad>

Hope to see y'all for a pint.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #399 on: May 05, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »

But that's not new beer news. If you're sport climbing in Rumney this summer, the Common Cafe just opened a bar upstairs that has the standard NH/VT drafts (Switchback, Tucks, Long Trail, etc). Nothing too exotic, but many good local choices.

Wow, that is indeed great news.  I'll be making stops for sure.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #400 on: May 05, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »

I just picked up a 5liter  set up 4 little keggers,, about 12 beers each and 3 fit in the cooler..sweet...co2 or regular bronco pump

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #401 on: May 12, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »

Has anybody checked out the "newish" brewpub in Littleton?

Was able to check this place out on Saturday and it's a winner.

Shilling Beer Company: http://www.schillingbeer.com/

- The Altbier was the best I've had and I used to have a thing for that style and have tried a lot of them.
- The Belgian Pale was outstanding
- The Bohemian Pilsner was good but I don't have a lot of experience with Pilsners to really make a valid judgement

The other stuff was high test (>7.5%) and will have to wait until the next trip for sampling.

I haven't been this excited about finding a brew pub since my first trip to the Alchemist. Hopefully this one doesn't get wiped out in a hurricane induced flood before I can get back to it.

Edit: Also they served the Altbier in a Stange which was the first time I've ever had it served to me in the correct glass.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:14:32 AM by JBrochu »
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

DLottmann

« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »

Wow, thanks for the heads up. This sounds like an excellent post climb stop when climbing in the Notch. I started to tire of Woodstock Brewery...

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:19 AM »

Cannon has kind of scared me a bit the last several years, but I have a funny feeling I'll be climbing on it a lot more this season!
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

DLottmann

« Reply #404 on: May 12, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »

Cannon has kind of scared me a bit the last several years, but I have a funny feeling I'll be climbing on it a lot more this season!

Lots of good climbing in the Notch not on Cannon... If you haven't climbed at Echo, Profile, or Hounds Hump/Eaglet you should!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.