Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 80273 times)

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #510 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:28 pm »
I did get a single bottle sample of Stoneface IPA a couple weeks ago.  While I likely wouldn't drink more than one at a sitting, it is certainly an IPA I could drink on occasion.  And that's saying a lot for me.  Definitely not overly hoppy, and a clean taste.  I think the reason I'm not big on IPA's is most of them that I have tried are way too hoppy for my taste. 

Had my wife stop at Gary's in Portsmouth on Friday to grab a sixer of Stoneface.  I didn't realize they sold it by the bottle.  She must love me since she still paid the $5/bottle rate and brought home 3 IPA's and 3 APA's!  Haven't tried the APA yet to get an opinion on it.  Should be mentioned though that the bottles are full pints, not 12 ounces.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
No beer..1o days...fuck me !

Offline JoeC

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2014, 04:46:23 pm »
Just picked up some ingredients for a couple batches.  One batch is a maple porter the other is a spruced wheat using wild yeast.

Offline JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2014, 08:59:00 pm »
Growlers at Hobbs in W. Ossipee are up and running.  $15 new and $12 for a refill.  Brown, Hefe, Cream ale and Rye IPA.  Pick some up for your adventures.  Stout not available for takeout.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #514 on: September 23, 2014, 09:12:06 am »
DanF - you've got a great wife if she's buying you all that beer! Maybe I should be stopping by your place with all that Stoneface you have on hand now. And you'll definitely have to let us know how the APA is. I knew that they had started to bottle but didn't realize they were bottling pints.

JChepes - how's the Hobbs beers you've tried?

Offline danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #515 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:41 pm »
Mark, good word on the street was that Stoneface had a big batch of bottling going on 2 Friday's ago. ;)

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #516 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:58 pm »
No beer..1o days...fuck me !
I hope you have some really KICKASS stuff waiting for you at 10.001 days, John.
I have been enjoying Lagunitas up and down their offerings.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #517 on: September 24, 2014, 08:57:12 am »
It looks like I will be heading to my craft beer store looking for some Stoneface IPA later today Dan. And I can't remember anything from Lagunitas that I haven't enjoyed with IPA Maximus being a favorite.

And I can't seem to stay away from Schilling - and I'm not close (120 miles). Left work yesterday to take my girlfriend on a ride through the mountains for foliage (we're both traveling seperately soon for a bit - so it seemed like a good spur of the moment thing to do). Dinner and beers at Schilling - awesome. And the Brat dinner was very, very good!

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #518 on: September 24, 2014, 06:39:46 pm »
And I can't remember anything from Lagunitas that I haven't enjoyed with IPA Maximus being a favorite.
Agreed!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #519 on: September 24, 2014, 09:58:35 pm »
I've tried the Hobb's brown and stout and both were good.  Nothing too overwhelming.  I got a friend the rye ipa and he enjoyed it even though not a rye fan.  They have g'knight imperial red ipa on tap by oscar blues and that makes a great fall warmer.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #520 on: October 05, 2014, 05:34:31 pm »
First beer since surgery  Torpedo of course,,then 1/2 gGreat Divide yeti..knocked me out

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #521 on: October 05, 2014, 06:32:36 pm »
Congrats, John.  A good first step to "true recovery".  Good choices.
The Torpedo is definitely one of my go to, week-night beers.  Great value and so good after a day at the office.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #522 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:18 am »
Great first choice John and it shows you're on your way to full recovery! Torpedo is one of the every day "go to's" for me too. In fact I just got a half case at Market Basket for $9.99! I shoulda bought two.

Had an awesome hop bomb the other night - From The Barrel Brewing (Londonderry NH) Elle DIPA (tapped at 9:00 Saturday at Cask and Vine, Derry NH). Tons of citrus and pine on the nose with a great hop start and finish! 9.5 ABV and the great thing was that there was no taste of alcohol which happens at times with big ABV's. In fact, kinda scary it was so smooth.

Maine Beer Company Peeper Ale - very nice american pale ale - awesome as is all their beers!

Offline JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #523 on: October 06, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »
Sierra is making a fall pack this year.  Oktoberfest, vienna lager, tumbler and pale ale.  Very good.  Sierra just makes great beer.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #524 on: October 07, 2014, 10:51:55 am »
Have lately enjoyed a few brews from Two Roads Brewery in Stratford, CT; their "Road 2 Ruin" double IPA is quite tasty, nicely hoppy and solid at 7.6%. Had one on draft yesterday at a pub in New London--previously I had only had it bottled-- very nice in both renditions.