Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 15809 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
a friend gave me a 6 of Heady Topper a couple of years ago. it was not to my taste, so to each their own...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
As for finding Heady Topper - it's essentially not distributed too far from the brewery in Waterbury. And certainly not outside Vermont - yet. I hear they are expanding. With that I've actually had friends go to the brewery and they've been sold out! So you should actually call ahead. And if you head to Smuggs you actually drive right past it.

Sorry you're not a hop head Al!

I met a colleague at a Starbucks in Westboro MA today and it was right next to Julio's which is a huge beer and wine store. Picked up Ballast Point Sculpin IPA, Jacks Abbey Imperial Pale Lager and Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project Meadowlark IPA!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:15:50 PM by markvnh »

Offline Pete Jackson

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • RCA guy. Want to help? PM me.
    • Rumney Climbers Association
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
a friend gave me a 6 of Heady Topper a couple of years ago. it was not to my taste, so to each their own...

I don't usually like IPAs or and Pale Ales, really. Give me a Pigs Ear or a PBR any day.

But I do want to see what all the fuss is about with Heady Topper, just to form an opinion.
We came to climb, not to whine.

Offline bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I HAVE to try Heady Topper from what I've read.  I have 10 days off the end of this month and plan on indulging :)

the alchemist's retail store has been closed. i believe they are still brewing while the store is closed so, if anything, it should be more widely available in vermont.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »

Anybody had newburyport Green Head ???

No, but if its bite is anything like the Greenhead flies at the beach in Newburyport, it must be HOPPY! :P

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
Benny - thanks for confirming the Alchemist store is closed as I had heard that but hadn't called. And guess this is due to expansion. As you said though it should be more available at retail in Vermont now.

Pete - if you find a Heady Topper try it without thinking of other pale or India pale ales you've had. It truly is a world class beer. And oh so hoppy!

Offline JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »
The Newburyport green head IPA and the pale ale are great beers.  My go to beers for camping. Think they have a belgian also.

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
Huh, I was in VT for Turkey Day. I wish I had known.
Just finished my Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project Meadowlark IPA.  I liked it better tonight (well, almost anything taste better after a climbing workout).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »
I am having a Pretty Things "Jack D'or" now.  It is quite good but not a "WOW".
I am all for supporting local producers so I will continue to buy it and the IPA.
Forgot to look for Newburyport Green Head tonight ... might have to make a trip to Belmont tomorrow :)
That place is less than a 10-minute drive for me.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2013, 08:09:18 AM »
Alchemist Brewery is still open and producing Heady Topper. They closed the retail and brewery tour side due to traffic problems and a lack of proper state licensing. I believe they are attempting to find another venue for their retail and tastings as they produce (not can) more than just the Topper.

I like Heady Topper/Alchemist, but I prefer both Lawson's Finest and Hill farmstead over it for quality small scale VT beers.

What's the name of the small brewer from mid coast ME, Newcastle/ Damariscotta/ Sheepscot area. I think he brewed in a barn, only sold to a few restaurants, and growlers at local places no further south of Bath. I remember his beers being very smooth and extremely tasty.

Offline bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

What's the name of the small brewer from mid coast ME, Newcastle/ Damariscotta/ Sheepscot area. I think he brewed in a barn, only sold to a few restaurants, and growlers at local places no further south of Bath. I remember his beers being very smooth and extremely tasty.

oxbow? boothbay?

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #326 on: December 08, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
I think it was Sheepscot Valley brewery.

Offline bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #327 on: December 08, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
I think it was Sheepscot Valley brewery.

AHA! their brewer/owner has brain cancer and they can use all the support they can get!

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
Great divide yeti, car bomb with black bush after the Pats won..fantastic

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
Re: Long Time Drinker, First Time Poster...
« Reply #329 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
my tastes in beer are definitely not as sophisticated as some (my highest praise for any beer is: "it's wet and it's cold…") but;

i've always liked Switchback Ale, and i've just tried their "Slow-Fermented Brown Ale."

it's not too hoppy, not too dark, not too malty or too bitter; maybe it's just a "sport beer…."

ed e

ps. please disregard any posts i make after this one as i only have a couple od swallows left….
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.