NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumney main cliff Parking lot, OPEN!  (Read 1083 times)

Bbrum

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Rumney main cliff Parking lot, OPEN!
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »

Just got the word, the Main Cliff lot is now open!

A reminder the WMNF parking pass program help in part to pay for the lot improvements, The RCA supports the parking pass program.
No matter what your opinion of the lot is, the ultimate goal is to reduce foot traffic along buffalo road.

Bob

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rumney main cliff Parking lot, OPEN!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »

Thanks Bob. 

biltheref

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »

Please remember that parking is in the lots only.  Cars parked on Buffalo Road will be towed.  Overflow parking is still available behind the Library at the beginning of Buffalo Road.  Thank You.
Chief Main
Rumney, PD

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »

They did a great job.  The parking spaces are painted and now we have many more spaces to park.  There will be issues with the embankment around the lot where stones and sand were placed.  Already, the sand is running into the parking lot, sifting through the holes in the wall.  If anything, they should of thought more about the uphill water runoff.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »

Alan did they do the big parking lot yet? 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:31:58 PM »

No, not yet.  I do hope that they do more then just pave it. 

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »

I must be just about the last person on this forum to see the new lot for myself.  I was surprised by the changes.  A lot of effort and $$$ must have gone into making the new lot what it is now.  What do I think?  What has been done cannot be undone so that's that. 
IMHO, I hope the larger lot won't get the same level of treatment and detail.  I do not see a compelling reason to pave the larger lot.  I happen to think effort and $$$ would be better spent if they were to build a trail connecting the two lots so that climbers will be totally off Buffalo Road.  And to address the shortcomings jammer had mentioned about the new lot.

I did not see any illegally parked vehicles today on Buffalo Road which is always a good thing.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »

Soon i disagree.  I think the big lot should be paved and lined so that people will park more appropriately  and the spring flooding condition can be resolved.  It is a disaster area every year after the snow melts and the spring rains come.  It is also a mess when people park along the entrances, against the bathroom doors, crooked, widely spaced etc   which in the end allows less people to park there. 

that said i don't think it needs stone walls or any expansion. 

A path connecting the lots  should have been part of the original plan,  i don't know why it wasn't.    It makes it harder to convince people to cross back across the road to the path once they are already going on the road. 

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:09:28 AM »

Love coming back to my car that is surrounded in an ocean of blistering hot pavement at the end of the day. Love the smell and I am sure glad they cut down those trees, what a pain in the ass they were. But I suppose if I came from a concrete jungle my perspective would be a little off base also. What a waste!

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »

Jake, I hear you, honestly, but I think regrading, gravel in the problem spots, and better drainage should solve the flooding problem.  And I think No Parking signs can be installed without resorting to painting lines on asphalt.  By the way, I did not see any really poorly parked cars yesterday although I did not look to see if there were cars parked right next to the porta johns.  And there were empty parking spots in the newer lot at 1pm!  Imagine that.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »

Ok,  Some kind of improvement needs to be made on the big lot.   leaving it as is  as they have done the 10 years i've been going there is getting ridiculous.   I would rather see pavement than nothing done at all.  

Mike,  once again  FUCK OFF.   you are becoming a fucking asshole.  

OH yea...  guess what. the more the old guard like  Mark, Ward, etc work on wilderness crags the more folks of my generation who are going to be doing the improvements at Rumney.  Get used to it.  Some people aren't happy to sit by and watch trails erode, trees fall on people  and parking lots  turn into mud holes.   Things will change.  (Ward etc have done a great job over the years, I think it is time for others to start helping out)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:22:45 PM by JakeDatc »

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »

Keep telling people to fuck off Jake.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »

Keep telling people not to maintain the area they use.       Do you just drive a car until it dies? or do you change the oil, fix the engine, change tires.    Use  requires maintenance.   The amount of use that Rumney gets  requires a LOT  more maintenance than it receives.     I just do not understand your  "leave it alone"  thinking..  It makes zero sense and it is in some cases dangerous.

I guess i should have left this alone so someone could cut their rope and get injured like the guy at the Red?   

his brand new rope ended up like this and he decked.

I bet the girl that got hit by the tree at Parking lot wall a few years ago would have appreciated someone taking down the tree that almost killed her if they had noticed it being weakened.  Not to mention the SAR guy who broke his ankle while responding to her accident. 
http://eugenesclimbingadventures.blogspot.com/2009/08/accident-at-rumney.html

RagingTurk

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 10:51:55 PM »

+1 for taking care of where you "play".

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »

I bet the girl that got hit by the tree at Parking lot wall a few years ago would have appreciated someone taking down the tree that almost killed her if they had noticed it being weakened.  Not to mention the SAR guy who broke his ankle while responding to her accident. 
http://eugenesclimbingadventures.blogspot.com/2009/08/accident-at-rumney.html
I was at Rumney on May 29th and was surprised to see the huge tree that was on top of Shealyn's Way and A Week With Pete on the Parking Lot Wall laying to the left of the chimney, at the beginning of Chloe's Breakfast Special and Quinn/Callaghan.  That was one huge tree and I sure hope nobody was around when it came down.

How does one become informed when work days are happening?  I filled out the WMNF volunteers application and have not heard a word. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 23 queries.