Author Topic: Touching the Void (The book & a thought)  (Read 614 times)

Offline nh306

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • "It's always a good time to climb"
Touching the Void (The book & a thought)
« on: February 20, 2004, 03:01:24 pm »
First question has anybody read the book and viewed the movie? The book left me gripped!!! I only hope when I get to see the movie it is equally as thrilling! Second, I don't know how I feel about cutting THE rope!! This left me with some mixed emotions. I come from a strong law enforcement back ground and your brother is your brother no matter what. We fight for each other to the very end. That is how it has been and as far as I am concerned that is how it will always be. I have been in some very scary situations and I would like to think I acted accordingly! I know I have been in a life or death  situation and we came out on top. However I was not perched on the side of a mountain relying exclusively on my own self reliance and a partner with a broken leg. I could hear other units coming. These guys were very remote and had nobody that was coming to help them. I've been working midnights which on some occassions leaves me with time to think! I have tried to put myself in his shoes attempting to hold on to the weight of his partner! I think that everything in me would tell me to keep fighting, keep thinking, figure something out! Then I wondered how well did these two gentlemen know each other. I wondered if I would put in the same effort with a person I hardly knew opposed to a life long friend. I started to weigh my family into the equation. Being denied watching your baby girl grow up is a terrible thought. Anyone with kids will vouch for me. Those who don't will soon find out. I know how I have acted in the past and I know how I plan to act in the future. I can not honestly inform you how I would have acted on the side of that mountain under those same conditions!!! From the reading it sounds as though     both are getting along with their lives. I hope over the years he has not received any hatered for what he had to do. Until you are there I don't think anybody could honestly tell us what they would do. Just my rambling thoughts! If it's made you think more power to you! If not just ignore me!
Be safe, climb hard, and live to climb another day!!                

Offline JonH

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Touching the Void (The book & a thought)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 03:23:43 pm »
I've neither read the book or seen the movie, but the way you described it all sold me on both.  I think I'll make a trip to the book store tommorrow.  After climbing of course.
:)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 03:04:49 pm »
 8)have not seen the movie but the book is totaly stunning. The peruvian adventure is just one bad wreck out of many that he experiences. the deal when the belay ledge fell out from under them on the Bonnati pillar gripped me more than the crawling story. Their was no team work in that situation just 2 guys trying to survive. I recall they were fighting over who got the first chopper ride out. Not exactly a heroic attitude.  Rember that this guy fell off of just about everything he climbed, maby he had a hard time keeping reguler partners. I know i have a diferent level of concern for my reguler partners than I do for the ones I hook up with on the fly.  There have been hundreds of times over the years when I have Rock ratted and dragged complete strangers up a climb not even rembering their name by the time I get to the top ::) I never have dropped any of these belay slaves and certainly wouldn't want to.  Would I be willing to give my life for that stranger the same way I might for one of my reguler partners. probobly not. (might depend on how good looking she was ;D)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 03:08:55 pm by tradmanclimbz »

Offline Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 09:48:50 am »
Saw the movie last weekend in NYC.  It was amazing.  Hands down the best climbing movie I have ever seen that didn't involve a rescue attempt with high explosives.  Acting was good and the narration by joe and simon was really well done.  Even thought most of it was shot in the alps, it felt very real.  
   I am reading ghosts right now and read the bivy ledge bit last night.  Wow.  I can't imagine being tied to a face by a bad ring piton and a rope over a flake without any gear.  I would have fought anyone for the first ride out.  Something about being thousands of feet off the deck seperated from your gear trying not to move so that the anchor doesn't blow makes you concerned with your own survival.  I think joe was more woried about the rescuing guide messing up the anchor when he unclipped the other guy, instead of who got first ride.  Anyways, Joe has an incredible track record of getting seriously f'ed.  I wouldn't want to rope up with him.  

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 04:32:03 pm »
 ::)reading his book certainly gives you the inpression that he has fallen off of more big rt's than most people have climbed :o

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 04:03:15 am »
the one significant problem with living up here in the north country is that stuff like this probably won't make it up here and I'll have to wait 6 months to see it until it's on DVD.

<sigh>

Al
Al Hospers

Offline fabraham

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 04:27:22 am »
You know, Trad, I agree with you.  In fact, I went to his slide show in Boston, and afterward, when he was signing books, I presented him with a book by Mo Antoine (whom I knew that Joe knew) to sign, and I said, "I have Touching the Void, but would you mind signing this book by another bumbling British climber?"  Well, naturally, he shot me a look at first, and it took some dancing on my part to bring him back over to this side of pleasant!  

He did sign for me, but my point was that he has fallen an awful lot for a guy hanging around the upper echelon of climbers.  I mean, if a good crawl is all it takes to gain fame and fortune, then he should hang around with my crew for a while.....

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 06:54:33 am »
I didn't mean to take a shot at the guy, just pointing out that if the guiness book of world records had the catagory's I am quite sure that Joe Simpson would hold records in both total vertical feet fallen, Most # of times fallen mountainering. Most falls  (all catagories) with injuries resulting. ::) Not exacty the guy you want to call up and say, Hey joe, not doing anything this weekend, Wanna go climbing? My wife sugested it, she's pissed at me and just took out extra insurance ;D

Offline Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 08:08:10 am »
in fairness, his partners usualy end up in pretty good shape.  Joe does seem to log more air time than a beanie wearin' sporto.

Offline rmb

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 08:41:50 am »
the one significant problem with living up here in the north country is that stuff like this probably won't make it up here and I'll have to wait 6 months to see it until it's on DVD.

<sigh>

Al

It's supposed to be somewhere in Keene, NH on April 2nd I believe. You can get a list from the ifcfilms website....

Offline mtnperson

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 10:50:29 am »
it's in Portland Me., presently.
it's not that life's too short.....
it's that you're dead so long.

Offline mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 04:03:40 pm »

<sigh>

Al

Al, do the right thing. You know.... take the wife to dinner and a movie!! I suggest you make the trip. It's well worth it! :)

Mike

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Touching the Void (The book & a thought)Yeah,
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 06:47:07 am »
yeah, it's probobly the perfect flick to take the wife to, especialy if you are trying to talk her into letting you take a month off and go alpine climbing with the boyze ;D

Offline mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 09:59:00 am »
Well I sorta did it ass backwards. Went to Nepal last fall and took her to see the movie this winter!! Although she doesn't climb, she did enjoy the movie!!