Author Topic: Rumney now on your iPhone  (Read 1604 times)

DLottmann

Rumney now on your iPhone
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rumney now on your iPhone
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
I'm the biggest technophobe there is (no cell phone, no high speed internet), but we are in on this with Candemir.  You either ride the wave or it passes you by....it will also allow us to do updates more regularly than with a printed guidebook.

Ward

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
Candemir also played a pivotal role in the RRG iPhone/iTouch/iPad app.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
I'm the biggest technophobe there is (no cell phone, no high speed internet), but we are in on this with Candemir.  You either ride the wave or it passes you by....it will also allow us to do updates more regularly than with a printed guidebook.

Ward

I agree. So when's the full version going to come out?

Offline RagingTurk

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »
I should face up to the pending storm beforehand - now that I'm ousted. :)

Dman - the Full version is also out. Link http://itunes.apple.com/app/rumney-climbing/id443333856?mt=8#.

I've been a member of the forum for a long time and always refrained from pointing out the apps here. Would have been just shameless promotion.

Alpinewerx has been working with Wolverine for over a year now on the guidebook apps. There are several other in addition to the RRG.
It's also been great working with Ward and Bob on the Rumney project.

Some dislike technology - it's a polarizing subject for sure:

My take is (in addition to Ward's points) that the easier it is for people to find routes between the book & the apps, the more they (hopefully) will spread out rather than just climb at the close-by walls especially at a place like Rumney.

Also, I should mention part of the proceeds from the app are directly being donated back to RCA.

Hope you like the Rumney app if you get to check it out. And now you know who to give s**t to if you don't... :)

Candemir.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:49:37 PM by RagingTurk »

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
I see no problem. People are carrying their communicators around with them anyway. I do like the fact that updates and corrections can be done easily.
I'm all for technology, in it's place, like this app. What I don't like about Facebook etc. is the underhanded, all pervasive mining of your privacy.

So when is the Owl's app coming out?
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
So when is the Owl's app coming out?
Cathedral/Whitehorse first, then Green's.  :)  Sorry, Mark.

A real question here - how about something for the Android users among us?  I have never owned anything Apple - yes, I know I am missing out - and I am not about to start now.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Ward & Candemir: nice job guys. glad to see it. it would be very cool to have a MWV app for the Driod.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline RagingTurk

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
Mark - if you are serious about Owl's - let's do the app.

Soon & Al -
We are seriously thinking about Android. The demand is real.
It's just that we have to start from scratch because the operating system and even the programming language are completely different. I think it will happen, but don't want to promise when.

It would be great to do it for MWV - maybe for the new book?

C.

Offline jimmy

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »
Would be cool if the App were made for all of the major platforms -- iPhone, Droid, Blackberry.  My firm uses Blackberry Torch b/c we are heavy e-mail users through a secure server.  The Good app used by iPhone and Droid just can't compete there so I am stuck with the BB unless I want to spring big coin for a second device.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
Candemir: so is the app database driven? changes on the online DB are reflected in the app? that would be the cool thing...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
there is just something about going outdoors to play in the nature and look it all up on your iphone (or ipad, i assume) that just does not sounds quite right.
Lilly V.

Offline RagingTurk

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »
Candemir: so is the app database driven? changes on the online DB are reflected in the app? that would be the cool thing...

Al: This is precisely how the app works.
Ultimately the database for each app is stored locally for fast and internet-less access.

C.

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
Lilly, I had the same initial reaction until I realized that the app is just a replacement for the trusty olde guide book.  I have less of an issue with this and a GPS (replacement for a map) than say replacing books and magazines with an eBook/eReader.
But to each, his/her own.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 09:36:54 AM »
Does this really help more to route-dense areas like Rumney ??? For an area with few routes, do things work as well ????