Author Topic: multi-pitch sack  (Read 1284 times)

Offline backclipped

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Bro Bra Blah Blah
multi-pitch sack
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
After strapping stuff to the outside of my Dakine mt. bike hydration system on last falls Red Rocks trip I promised myself that I would ante-up and throw down on something a little more appropriate in time for the next round of multi-pitch shenanigans . After some deliberation I went with the Petzl Bug. I filled it up with nothing in particular and tested it out on some single pitch stuff--seems like it will do the trick. What do you folks strap to your back when you know you're going to be off the ground for a while?
Bro Bra Blah Blah

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: multi-pitch sack
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
Lot's of folks seem to use the Bug, it's a bit small around the chest for me. I had an A5 pack, deceased, that was awesome. Whatever you get, have the second carry it  ;) And don't go much above 1,500 "  'cause you'll just carry more shit.

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
I use the REI Flash pack, Light weight and pretty cheaply priced. Holds my rack, harness and strapped to the daisy's, shoes and helmet for near car climbing. For longer treks it is light enough and fully compressible so it fits great in a bigger pack. Ice season sees it as a stuff sack for my down coat, extra gloves and water. Originally bought it for the wife to use as a light day hiking pack, but she has yet to be able to pry it from my back.

Offline bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
I use the REI Flash pack, Light weight and pretty cheaply priced. Holds my rack, harness and strapped to the daisy's, shoes and helmet for near car climbing. For longer treks it is light enough and fully compressible so it fits great in a bigger pack. Ice season sees it as a stuff sack for my down coat, extra gloves and water. Originally bought it for the wife to use as a light day hiking pack, but she has yet to be able to pry it from my back.

they are only $25! use your rei dividend to get one in every color! ;)

Offline backclipped

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Bro Bra Blah Blah
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
I put the flash on my REI wedding registry......no one has bought it for me yet.....or anything else on the "gear" registry for that matter. It's all Macy's, Macy's, and Macy's.
Bro Bra Blah Blah

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
I put the flash on my REI wedding registry......no one has bought it for me yet.....or anything else on the "gear" registry for that matter. It's all Macy's, Macy's, and Macy's.

hysterical....
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
I have the bug and the flash 18. The flash is formless and stuff can rattle around in there....not the pack I'de chose to climb in. The bug has been a great pack. It has just enough room for shoes, lunch and water and extras. I don't use the waist belt and it still stays firmly put. Only once have I had a rope wiggle loose from the rope straps on a walk out. IMHO it's a really a good pack that does it's job.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:32:01 PM by ELM »
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

Offline mvegasdad

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
I use a Camelback. Can't remember which model, but it doesn't hold any of my climbing gear (nor do I want it to). Just a guidebook (if nec), a sandwhich, and maybe a camera. OH, and 3 liters of water (I'm a big drinker). Wouldn't want to carry anything more. Most days I leave it in the car.

Offline backclipped

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Bro Bra Blah Blah
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
Yeah, my Dakine Drafter hydration pack does the job quite well (and for a typical day of climbing it doesn't even make the car). I picked up the Bug because I was looking to clean up my harness on some of the "Alpine Cragging" (i.e. Red Rocks) I get to do from time-to-time. Do I need a climbing back? Not really. I've done well without one in the past. Just thought I would add something new to the kit.....I'll probably just end up using it as a carry-on/bike to the bar bag. With that said, does anyone know the best fitting small climbing oriented pack for a 105 lb, 5'2" female? I was thinking the BD Bbee........
Bro Bra Blah Blah

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
I find the best way to improve  multi pitch sac is to go to Red Rocks where the gear is great and the grades are soft  ;D

Offline backclipped

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Bro Bra Blah Blah
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
....the northeast does have a way of humbling us west coast climbers  :-[ You should have seen me flailing on Gunklandia last fall--wicked funny.  But alas, I'm not really climbing much these days (I don't know how you guys get it done in this humidity); I'm just buying gear and dicking around on social forums  ;D

Red Rocks may or may not be soft, but the potential for hefty run-outs will surely strengthen your sac.
Bro Bra Blah Blah

DLottmann

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
....the northeast does have a way of humbling us west coast climbers  :-[ You should have seen me flailing on Gunklandia last fall--wicked funny. 

The beginning of that climb is a bit spicy, and I treated an open deep head laceration when an aspiring female leader took a helmet-less 25 footer a few summers ago higher on the 1st pitch.... great climb though...

wait, did you say Red Rocks has runouts??? I can't think of any regular moderates there with long run-outs... and if there is you can usually sling a knob or something

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »
Gobs of good small to medium wires there. i can't think of any other place in the desert that I haVE found that.

Offline backclipped

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Bro Bra Blah Blah
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
I'm a fairly strong face climber, so I thought the first pitch was straight forward and casual. I started floundering once I got suckered into that second pitch slot. Apparently I missed some large and obvious holds......anyhow, I was so jammed in there I could free bicycle my legs--funny shit.

Yeah, I've been to Red Rocks on a couple of different occasions and each time I dealt with some memorable runouts....

Tunnel Vision--the tunnel is surely sparse on gear placements
Pureblind Pillar--I remember not placing much gear for the first 70 ft or so. I can't remember much else about how this climb protected. Good route though.
Olive Oil--I suppose you can protect the second pitch with small wires, but I ran the living shit out of this pitch. I'm not a particularly bold climber. I don't typically run routes out 40-50 ft...but it was 5.monkey bars climbing. I ran that last pitch out pretty good too.

Perhaps I'm just a pussy....I am a recovering sport wanker after all. 
Bro Bra Blah Blah

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
Twice i have gone to RR directly from Zion where I got scared 3/4 to death both time. Got to red rocks and waqs like OMG there is a god after all. one time i led The gobbler and the last time I was there some folks on it were telling me it was 10bR  .... Yikes!  it must have been so nice to Not be in a crazy Wide crack with No gear that I thought 10bR face climbing was fun ::)