NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LONGEST pLUMMET'S  (Read 2735 times)

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: LONGEST pLUMMET'S
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »

And to think they call them "fish stories." Go figure.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »

That's 'cause on a real whipper,, ya gotta real 'm in

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »

Heck i remember when dracula was a 2 pitch testpiece with the first pitch described as a Long pitch. the whole rout is only about 80ft of actual climbing. it's about 115 ft from the belay tree on the left at the bottom  to the belay tree on the right at the top with a good 30 to 40ft of that the snowfield at the bottom of the climb.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »

Maybe the recent fall on the Prow will make it here.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »

Maybe the recent fall on the Prow will make it here.

I would think so...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »

OK , I'm 15' from the belay tree at Albany Slabs, I'm looking at it. But it's a no go and time to downclimb, slip on the lichen and off to the races, skipping down the slab on my hip.

TC is reeling in the rope hand over hand and i stop MAYBE 15' from the belay. We said 70' , but maybe closer to 90'. Silly me went back and lead it the next month. Nice route, better TR

Reelin' In The Fears 10b X

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »

Yea, Its not always Climbers math..  ther are times when ther are known  distances involved...   but a whole lot of the time it is climbers math    ;)

cwoodman

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • Any day spent in the mountains is a good day.
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »

I was belaying my long time climbing partner Kenny Parker on Reppy's one time around '82. It was his first lead of the crack, and as he was exiting the pod some 80 feet up, he slipped off, turned upside down and fell down the slab. Unfortunately, he had neglected to clip the bong which was pounded into the bottom of the pod in those days. He came careening down right towards me, pulling out one or two more pieces along the way, and a split second later he was staring me in the face, not more than five feet above my head. Of course, I hadn't anchored in to anything, so I was pulled up the slab a few feet as well. Talk about a dynamic belay! After muttering a few WTF's, I lowered him to the ground, we exchanged nervous chuckles, then we switched ends and I finished off the climb. Maybe it's a little bit of climber's math, but I figured that fall/slide to be at least 60 feet. Luckily for Ken, the slab is very smooth and he ended up shaken, not broken. He lives in Boulder these days and still climbs regularly in Eldo, et al.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »

OK , I'm 15' from the belay tree at Albany Slabs, I'm looking at it. But it's a no go and time to downclimb, slip on the lichen and off to the races, skipping down the slab on my hip.

TC is reeling in the rope hand over hand and i stop MAYBE 15' from the belay. We said 70' , but maybe closer to 90'. Silly me went back and lead it the next month. Nice route, better TR

And so the name Slip of Fools was created huh? Since itís your route and you call it ďa better TRĒ why donít you go back and fix it with 1 bolt? *readies flame shield*

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »

Dave that would require common sense and a touch of community  ;)  Strand has made it rather clear that he has neither ;D

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »

And so the name Slip of Fools was created huh? Since itís your route and you call it ďa better TRĒ why donít you go back and fix it with 1 bolt? *readies flame shield*
Believe it or not, i did think about it. Actually 2-3 bolts would be better.

#1  I'm 2,000 miles away

#2  The route to the left Fool's for a Day is agood route and you can tr Reelin' easy

Anyone ?

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:21 AM »

I also don't have a problem with a bolt being put in Cash Flow, the direct start to Waiitng for Comeau. It would make the route better as you would not have to climb the often wet corner.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »

I also don't have a problem with a bolt being put in Cash Flow, the direct start to Waiitng for Comeau. It would make the route better as you would not have to climb the often wet corner.

Damn glad to hear that... if another local doesnít hop on that I might!

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »

In regards to Bruce Kumph, which many of you probably never knew. According to his son, Bruce was murdered in his apartment in Boston. I had the pleasure of teaching his son, Muir, at Brookline High School, in Massachusetts.

I am glad to say, that the project he made in my shop, was very instrumental in Muir gaining admittance to MIT, school of Mechanical Engineering. Last I heard, he was working for a robotics company.

Muir wrote me a letter, detailing why his experience in my class was so influential in his future career. I value things like that.

Bruce Kumph was a great guy!

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »

Thanks, Steve, I remember Bruce well, and am glad his son sent you those words; as a fellow retired high school teacher and coach I know how much such seemingly little gestures can mean!! To any others out there who had a teacher who inspired or helped them, Steve's statement that he values such simple messages goes, I believe, for all in the profession. Let such a person know how he/she influenced your life before it is too late for them to appreciate it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 23 queries.