NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: pissed at the AMC  (Read 2408 times)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: pissed at the AMC
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »

How true, without the AMC nobody would ever know how fragile the alpine zone is.  
If you are into mitigating environmental impacts how about tearing up the auto road, smog railway, and the summit buildings for a start.  Talk about impact...

They probably do a big part helping to relieve the tourons of their money for the benefit of New Hampshirites though. Part of the deal with the Devil you have to do if people want jobs and to be able to eat.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »

If you are into mitigating environmental impacts how about tearing up the auto road, smog railway, and the summit buildings for a start.  Talk about impact...

Imagine........

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

Ya i'd be all for getting rid of the cog, the road and everything else up there, but those outfits don't pretend to be concerned with the alpine environment.

DMan

• NEClimbs God
    • My Guiding Blog
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »

Ya i'd be all for getting rid of the cog, the road and everything else up there, but those outfits don't pretend to be concerned with the alpine environment.

I used to despise these entities on Mt. Wash... when I was a teenager... I used to actually lead hikes up there and bad mouth the existence of them. Then I realized a few things that changed my mind.

1) History. The historic value of the road and train supersedes any negative environmental impact IMO.

2) Proximity of other amazing high peaks where one can seek an alpine/wilderness experience if so desired. If you “hate” what is on Mt. Washington climb Madison or Adams... you’ll see 5 people all day.

3) Voters. The way I see it is having a high peak like Mt. Wash so reachable by “the masses” that maybe, just maybe, makes fatty outta shape guy develop an appreciation for nature that at best, influences him to start hiking.... at worse, influences him to protect wild places... either way, I’m glad fatty got to see how beautiful some parts of New Hampshire are.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

I finally got a look at the cut stairs on Falling Waters yesterday. There are actually 2 spots with cut stairs.

The first one is on a little low angle slab near leading down to a brook crossing. There is nothing but rock anywhere near this so it doesn't prevent erosion, and the rock is low angled and easy to walk down so I'm not sure why this was even done at all.

The second one is on a much steeper slab with a bit of exposure to falling/sliding down to the brook below. You used to use holds in a dike to climb this, but they cut steps right next to the dike. There doesn't appear to be any erosion from people trying to bypass this spot - so I guess these steps where cut for safety and convenience.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 22 queries.