NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: pissed at the AMC  (Read 2679 times)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: pissed at the AMC
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »

Steve- very good points.
It's kinda like everyone should be able to go anywhere.. well, No you can't. I'm all for handicap access and those thing (shit, I can barely walk some days) But No you can't get to Huntington Ravine on a wheel chair and No we are not going to pave trails so you won;t twist an ankle... the list goes on.

But back on point, just because a trail is "dangerous" then it should be "fixed"  BS  Isn't there enough common denominator shit around already ?

Now litter and shit is another story, i have some ideas about that.

rbirk

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »

I wonder what this will bring:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/news/2011/newsrel_20110715_Tuckerman_Trail_closure.pdf

Take note: "significant reconstruction project in the steep Headwall" and "building rock steps".

More fun :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:41:48 PM by rbirk »

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »

I wonder what this will bring:

http://news.outdoors.org/2011/07/tuckerman-ravine-trail-closing-for.html

Take note: "significant reconstruction project in the steep Headwall" and "building rock steps".

More fun :)

They have always built rock steps. now they are cutting staircases directly into bedrock. I hope to hear back from the FS supervisor (Tom Wagner) by the end of the week after he hikes up there to look at them himself. David Sallsbury who is the head of the AMC trail crew has yet to return a call.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »

we need a new series of huts for climbers  ;D

Owl and Green's each get one
Oscar
Captain
Crag Y
Sundown
Band M

Others ?????

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »

Good idea!  I second that!! :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »

One out behind The Moat..... the house,  not the mountain.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »

We could use a full on Taj Mahal at Rumney, complete with elephant rides and lots of street vendors

-Dave, I got your message. I'll try to call later. ..have to run out and do yard work now before it gets dark.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »

Owl and Green's each get one
Oscar
Captain
Crag Y
Sundown
Band M

Others ?????

You will still be lagging behind those civilized Frenchies unless you also install a frique to get to them.  If you want to climb like them you need to embrace the full program - none of this walking crap

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »

I heard from OM that there is no frique (yet) to eliminate the 1-hr uphill hike to the Ceuse crag.  But the locals and visting climbers alike leave ropes and gear up there to ease the burden for  the subsequent days.  Apparently, this is standard operating procedure at Ceuse.  A little of the same happens at Rumney ....

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »

I'll take a tent platform and a cold keg at any one of those locations. I'm not picky or civilized.

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »

I'm not picky or civilized.

I won't even comment on that!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »

I'll take a tent platform and a cold keg at any one of those locations. I'm not picky or civilized.
No,No, No- nice rooms, solar charging for the drill, good coffee and a well stocked bar. Composting toilets that work and don't smell

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »

No,No, No- nice rooms, solar charging for the drill, good coffee and a well stocked bar. Composting toilets that work and don't smell
Yes, all that PLUS sat link so that one can spray on forums like neclimbs over beers at night! :)

Davewalks

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Maybe true. Maybe not. Best believe.
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:20 AM »

As long as we're improving things.....weight charts and 4000 footer tick lists should be posted at all trail heads. Tents should be banned.  If you are capable of functioning without one, you should be banned:)

If you are climbing...step by step, many times redundant mechanical procedures need to replace your awareness and judgement at all times.

Whatever it is you do, it is of much....much......much...greater importance that you can discuss it quickly and forcefully, if not particularly well, and that you do so often and vigorously...

Just playing....:)

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »

I spoke with David Salsbury who is the head of the AMC trail crew Late yesterday. He tried to convince me that the steps are being cut to prevent erosion. Anyone can see that where they are cut either at Rumney or Falling Waters trail will have no affect on erosion. When I questioned him further and pushed the issue a bit he then told me that they "Constantly get complaints about the trails in the White mountains being way to difficult". From my observation of what has been done and my conversation with him I can draw no other conclusion that these things are being done to make life esier for the masses. He just doesn't want to say it. I suggested they try the experiment that is being done right now in Rocky Mtn Natl Park. They stopped maintaining a very popular trail a few years ago and the use has gone way down because you now have to climb over logs rather than walk thru a nicely cut notch. The trail has become much more difficult and many people won't go if they have to work for it a little! He seemed to have little interest in even persuing that idea as an experiment in the Whites. I am still waiting to hear back from Tom Wagner (The WMNF forest supervisor). He is doing some hiking to check things out for himself and has said he will get back to me with his thoughts on what is being done.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 22 queries.