Author Topic: Shit and paper at Rumney  (Read 3358 times)

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
Re: Shit and paper at Rumney
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
we had two ropes, so I threw mine BEHIND my car.  climbed the rest of the evening, then drove away.  Whoops.   
Oh that's unfortunate.  Hope you get your rope back.
Know the person who left a stick clip pole at Lower New Wave on Sun, 07/24?  Hope he/she got it back too.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline backclipped

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Bro Bra Blah Blah
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »
Did a bachelor party run down a section of the Saco river last weekend--unbelievable  :o. I hadn't been on this river since I was a wee lad--holy shit! I mean, talk about a flotilla of abusive bullshit. I was blown away by all the shit left behind at the countless abandoned camp sites--shit every where  >: (Not always back-end shit, but surely shit just the same. Anyway, Boston seemed to be the dominant local that most of the river goers hailed from (the consonant "R" was dropping from mouths and clogging the sandy shallows) . Perhaps Rumney's close approximation to such a metropolis is the problem. I've only been to Rumney twice (once to meet a buddy who had flown in for a New England tour. The other time I took once look at the parking lot and U-turned out of there.) It is surely a high use area that likely attracts people who might not be fully versed in the "leave no trace" ethic.
Bro Bra Blah Blah

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »
So, the question is: How do we educate people not to do it? Do we need a prominent sign at the parking lot kiosks or little signs at the areas of worst offense? ..or station somebody in camo with a camera and high powered water pistol?

Rumney is by no means as bad as many areas. I don't mean to make it out like it is, but any is unacceptable as far as I am concerned. When I visited Lake Louise in Canada, the whole back side of the lake, including out on a sandbar, was a complete mine field. It was amazing. Crystal blue lake, beautiful mountains, hordes of tourists, piles of shit and TP. In that case, I think you have  huge numbers of tourists who are completely unfamiliar with the laxative effects of exercise getting to the back and having the overpowering urge and zero sense
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
That's diff. you got the rope to the car   ;)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »
So, the question is: How do we educate people not to do it? Do we need a prominent sign at the parking lot kiosks or little signs at the areas of worst offense? ..or station somebody in camo with a camera and high powered water pistol?

Rumney is by no means as bad as many areas. I don't mean to make it out like it is, but any is unacceptable as far as I am concerned. When I visited Lake Louise in Canada, the whole back side of the lake, including out on a sandbar, was a complete mine field. It was amazing. Crystal blue lake, beautiful mountains, hordes of tourists, piles of shit and TP. In that case, I think you have  huge numbers of tourists who are completely unfamiliar with the laxative effects of exercise getting to the back and having the overpowering urge and zero sense

Or maybe it's the tea houses   ;D

Things used to be really bad in Josh then they started putting shitters all over.

The camera thing doesn't work. I used to live 300 yds from the start of the Boston Marathon-- on raceday the trees and bushes were like a frat party. WITH 80 porta's ACROSS THE STREET ! I tried a camera, no good. Cleaning the 12 gauge on the deck did help though..

Offline little lil

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »

Webcam.  Maybe one can even make money with it, there are some weird ppl out there.  Oops, did I just say that out loud?!   :o

Seriously, maybe a big fat sign at the parking lots reminding folks of the meaning of LNT; and spelling it out specifically what to do when one has to take a dumb to make sure there are no misunderstandings.
Lilly V.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
Nice lil- would it be "shitter cam" ?

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs God
  • climb on
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:23 AM »
I forget - is there a pooper in the new "improved" (sorry for the dig - no I'm not) Main lot?  There should be.  Anyone at Main, OC, Meadows or Parking Lot should be able to get to a real official pooper in 5 minutes.

But really compared to most places in the woods we generally have it pretty good in this respect here in the northeast.  It probably would be good to have some specific LNT posters at the trail heads.  I know the whole "How to shit in the woods" issue often comes down to a religious war (smear vs. bury, burn your TP vs. bag and carry out) but in this case I think we should be encouraging not shitting in the woods but carry in and carry out.  Maybe provide WAG bags in despensors.  renta-a-pooptube consessions (get rick quick scheme for Strand and Wietzler...) the mind boggles.

I don't think you can blame it on the gym climbers - last time I looked even the lowest form found there - the boulderers - weren't covering there stuff with the pads, but maybe it wasn't really tape marking the brown route.  On the other hand most of the hgihest mountains on earth are minefields.    Ward might not be that far off in blaming the Frenchies though  - there are cultural differences - look how both genders line up to pee in the gutter or the Seine in Paris.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
HAH- I have a poop tube from Valley days. The Fish "big wall john"  It's pretty hard to use on the ground though.

Like the Seine, couldn't people just use the river ?  ;)

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
I forget - is there a pooper in the new "improved" (sorry for the dig - no I'm not) Main lot?  There should be.  Anyone at Main, OC, Meadows or Parking Lot should be able to get to a real official pooper in 5 minutes.

But really compared to most places in the woods we generally have it pretty good in this respect here in the northeast.  It probably would be good to have some specific LNT posters at the trail heads.  I know the whole "How to shit in the woods" issue often comes down to a religious war (smear vs. bury, burn your TP vs. bag and carry out) but in this case I think we should be encouraging not shitting in the woods but carry in and carry out. 

Yes, there is now a porta john at the Main Cliff Parking Lot.
There are numerous trail heads at Rumney so I think I am with Lily here, put posters at good locations in both Parking Lots instead.
I think, with Rumney, it is probably best to bury, if not carry out.  Burning will risk starting a forest fire in the dry season.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs God
  • climb on
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
If you aren't going t burn your TP you should carry it out.  Your poop - as gross it it is - is pretty biodegradable and it really doesn't matter that much.  But if the soil is deep enough bury it.

Offline neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I haven't seen the TP bombs lately, but I'm also not looking for them. What has been pissing me off lately are the dog owners who are not picking up there dog shit. I was at a trail head the other day where the animal matter out scented two outhouses.

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »
A few weeks ago someone laid a fresh turd, complete with tp, within a few yards of the base of Reppy's. Stank the place up.
Gotta wonder what people like that are thinking.
Ya and i blame sport climbers, boulderers, Rumney climbers, people who climb in North Conway and the Gunks for this type of behavior... also Joey Bishop.
Certainly it wasn't the Habs.

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »
I just spoke with Marion Webber of the USFS about the stair cutting and brought this up. There will be someone contacting me about putting signs at Rumney dealing with this problem. Any signs must meet federal standards or they will be removed. Once it is determined exactly what they should say I told her that I would be willing to do the work to get the signs in place.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
You mean we can't put up signes that say " Hey Frenchies, stop shitting all over the place!"  with graphic drawings? LOL.

What ever happened to the idea that the RCA has an area on the kiosks for pertanant climbing information? It seems like that has been kind of pushed aside. We don't have any space at the small parking lot. I'm not sure what is still at the big one since I last saw it, but it seemed to be dwindling. The place is becoming completely sterile (except crap) and like a rest stop as I mentioned before since the FS has become more active. It's going to have no soul left.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson