General > Rock Climbing: Sport

Accident at Vader (Rumney) on Sunday afternoon (9/11)

(1/6) > >>

OldEric:
Does anyone know any details about this?

KaiT:
I don't have details and was about to ask the same.

What surprised me was the level on response that this accident got from the authorities. Why was there a need for the fire department to be there and many many volunteers. wouldn't one ambulance have been enough?

Kai

tradmanclimbz:
It takes at least six people to carry a litter from a spot like vader to the road so yes is normal for the fire dept rescue truck to be on scene for  a climbing accident. Once the real rescue folks show up and kick the competent climbers off the rescue they need additional people on scene to handle the heart attacks and sprained ankles of the fat out of shape medics and fire people.

sneoh:

--- Quote from: tradmanclimbz on September 12, 2011, 05:45:29 PM ---.... they need additional people on scene to handle the heart attacks and sprained ankles of the fat out of shape medics and fire people.

--- End quote ---
Not all that far from the truth, judging from what happened during The Parking Lot Wall rescue last year. 

The last two rescues I was a part of (no, I do not like being a part of any rescue), I have observed that the authorities have a tendency to 'under utilize' climbers and our familiarity with climbers' trails and trail conditions.  I think it is a communication and training issue and nothing malicious. 

sarahw:
Two of my friends helped with the rescue.  Here is what they said:

The woman fell/tumbled from the gully that is between Upper Darth Vader and Jimmy Cliff.  Apparently she was conscious and talking during the rescue, so my friends thought she was going to be okay, though they did not know what her injuries were.

Teams of 6 rotated through, each team carrying the litter for 300 feet or so while the other groups rested.  During the steepest parts of the trail, the rescuers lined up and passed the litter down the trail instead of carrying it.  During at least some of the time the litter/victim were also belayed with a rope, so that she could not be dropped.

They were impressed with the response and thought that the authorities did a great job organizing the climbers and directing the rescue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version