NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Accident at Vader (Rumney) on Sunday afternoon (9/11)  (Read 3450 times)

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
Accident at Vader (Rumney) on Sunday afternoon (9/11)
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »

Does anyone know any details about this?

KaiT

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Accident at Vader (Rumney) on Sunday afternoon (9/11)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »

I don't have details and was about to ask the same.

What surprised me was the level on response that this accident got from the authorities. Why was there a need for the fire department to be there and many many volunteers. wouldn't one ambulance have been enough?

Kai

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

It takes at least six people to carry a litter from a spot like vader to the road so yes is normal for the fire dept rescue truck to be on scene for  a climbing accident. Once the real rescue folks show up and kick the competent climbers off the rescue they need additional people on scene to handle the heart attacks and sprained ankles of the fat out of shape medics and fire people.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »

.... they need additional people on scene to handle the heart attacks and sprained ankles of the fat out of shape medics and fire people.
Not all that far from the truth, judging from what happened during The Parking Lot Wall rescue last year. 

The last two rescues I was a part of (no, I do not like being a part of any rescue), I have observed that the authorities have a tendency to 'under utilize' climbers and our familiarity with climbers' trails and trail conditions.  I think it is a communication and training issue and nothing malicious. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

sarahw

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

Two of my friends helped with the rescue.  Here is what they said:

The woman fell/tumbled from the gully that is between Upper Darth Vader and Jimmy Cliff.  Apparently she was conscious and talking during the rescue, so my friends thought she was going to be okay, though they did not know what her injuries were.

Teams of 6 rotated through, each team carrying the litter for 300 feet or so while the other groups rested.  During the steepest parts of the trail, the rescuers lined up and passed the litter down the trail instead of carrying it.  During at least some of the time the litter/victim were also belayed with a rope, so that she could not be dropped.

They were impressed with the response and thought that the authorities did a great job organizing the climbers and directing the rescue.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »

They were impressed with the response and thought that the authorities did a great job organizing the climbers and directing the rescue.
Good news. it is nice to heat stuff like this to dispel any misgiving that I or others may have.

We wish the victim well.  I am not aware of a direct established trail from UDV to Jimmy.  Is there one?  I typically backtrack from UDV to either Bonsai or LDV to reach Waimea or Jimmy.
Or, did she fall descending from Waimea/Jimmy towards Lower Darth?  If memory serves, there is a small fork in the steep trail down, at about the same level as UDV.  Going left leads one to a very eroded section which hugs the rock.  No one ought to use this since it resembles a small gully.  We hang a quick right at this fork and descend a number of steep rock steps which may not be so obvious among the vegetation.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

KaiT

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the woman should be ok.

I wasn't aware of the number of people involved in a rescue b/c of the litter. Rock climbers might be a resource that could be used, but I wonder if there are liability issues with that. E.g. what if one of the "untrained" personal drops the litter and causes more injury.

Kai

sarahw

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »

If you continue uphill, keeping UDV on your left, you will come to a cleft in the cliff band.  If you scramble up this gully you come to Jimmy cliff, I think pretty much directly below the Drilling for Dollars area.  It is definitely not a trail, but I think people do use it sometimes.  I have used it as a short cut before, and found it a bit sketchy.  It is probably class 3 scrambling, but would be difficult if it is mossy and wet.   I believe this is where they were when she fell.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

Thank you, Sarah for the clarifications.  I almost always stick to established trails.  The few times I have deviated I have found the going to be taxing and insecure.  With all the recent rain, it is not hard to imagine someone slipping off moss-covered rock and going for a good tumble.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 06:12:14 AM »

Sorry if my response seemed a bit crass. just responding to my last experience with a rescue. We got the victem down some serious 4th class terrain in good time with everyone safe and moveing well.  When the real rescue folks showed up they were huffing and puffing so bsad i thought they would drop dead right on the spot. then the fire chief guy who was a real rolly poly 5x5 started barking orders and it took them annother hour to get the litter 200ft of easy 1st class trail to the parking lot ::)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »

I don't think you were crass, Tradman. I appreciate that they are helping, many times as volunteers, but their horrible general fitness and lack of practical sense in the mountains is really a problem. I don't know how it can be helped except for the climbing organizations to have regular training days with them.  By getting them to hike the trails regularly and work with climbers, it would help get them in shape and trust in the available skills. If I ever get hurt, unless I am totally messed up with spinal injuries (finish me off with a rock in that case), I hope my fellow climbers can get me out before the fat squad shows up. I have always said, if I get hurt and lost in the mountains, I want Shimberg to be the one looking for me
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maine_Guy

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »

I arrived at this accident shortly after it happened.  I mostly just stayed out of the way. 

Was curious if anyone had an update to the girl's condition after the hospital visit? 

It is a bit crass to highlight the "huffing" of the medical responders.  To my knowledge, most of these guys are volunteers.  They mentioned this was one of the "farthest up" rescues they had ever performed and they (fortunately) don't get many.  They did a great job.  The random climbers that showed up to help were key to a successful extraction - carrying responders gear up to the scene - setting up a belay down the steep section for the litter - assisting with the carry - carrying equipment out.  Rumney is a good place to have an accident - if there is such a thing.  Lots of help.

I would say they (the responders) might need more training in high angle rescue... you can't expect responders to have climbing knowledge.  These guys did well, but did not seem familiar with high-angle rescue techniques.

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »

The number of rescues is surely a drain on the resources of a small town like Rumney regardless of whether the majority of the personal are volunteer or not.  To foster good will it typically is standard procedure for the rescued parties to make a donation to whatever organizations/groups are involved.  Formalizing that a bit it might be a good practice for the RCA to make a donation that perhaps was earmarked for training (although earmarking it for  gym memberships for the huffers and puffers might be more beneficial -  :D).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:53:06 PM by OldEric »

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

I think now is the time to build that paved trail to Darth Vader and eliminate any trees that might fall on the approach. We can then build stone stairs up the gully the victim fell from.  ;D ;D

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »

Good positive suggestion by Eric.  Is there still a functional RCA to which I can make a donation so they can pass something along to the Town?  Don't climb much there anymore but certainly enjoyed and benefited from the efforts of many parties who made such a great place work so well, including the Town.  Was pretty consistent at putting some bills in Shim's jar on the counter at the Rock Barn on most trips up there and I would like to see some money go to the Town as well.

Regarding the criticism of the official responsers, unless you are a volunteer with your local rescue squad, I would suggest the price of your words is at least a $10 donation to RCA to be passed along to the Town or a $10 donation to NH Mountain Rescue (http://www.mountainrescueservice.org/donations.htm).  Jake that goes double for you!

Bill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 23 queries.