NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accident at Vader (Rumney) on Sunday afternoon (9/11)  (Read 3069 times)

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
Re: Accident at Vader (Rumney) on Sunday afternoon (9/11)
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:44 PM »

Nevermind.  

edit:  didn't realize that was you Bill.  figured it was one of my "friends" from up north again. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:15:12 AM by JakeDatc »
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »

Geez Jake.  I'm sorry.  It was only tongue-in-cheek.  Or are you pissed at me for not bagging work and heading down to the Gunks with you last night?  Hope that's it. You know I thoroughly enjoy your company.  Bill

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »

I do not remember the circumstance but I heard from one of the Rumney EMT early last year that they could really use some slings and biners to go with the litter that the FD has.  So last summer I dopped some old slings and biners that I no longer use off at the Fire Station for this purpose.  Hopefully they have been put to good use since. 
The point is I think we should help each other by finding out what they need and how they might be able to respond better to an emergency call.  I like the idea of familiarizing them with all the upper and less visited crags.  Down at Red River, the RRGCC produced fairly detailed maps of the crags and major trails in the PMRP to distrihute to climbers and the emergency services.  I believe these maps have already been put to good use in a number of rescues.

I believe most members of the Rumney EM Svc and Fire are volunteers.  True locals will know for sure.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:11:34 AM by Admin Al »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

jammer

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »

Good positive suggestion by Eric.  Is there still a functional RCA to which I can make a donation so they can pass something along to the Town?  Don't climb much there anymore but certainly enjoyed and benefited from the efforts of many parties who made such a great place work so well, including the Town.  Was pretty consistent at putting some bills in Shim's jar on the counter at the Rock Barn on most trips up there and I would like to see some money go to the Town as well.

Regarding the criticism of the official responsers, unless you are a volunteer with your local rescue squad, I would suggest the price of your words is at least a $10 donation to RCA to be passed along to the Town or a $10 donation to NH Mountain Rescue (http://www.mountainrescueservice.org/donations.htm).  Jake that goes double for you!

Bill
Yes, Bill.  The RCA is still functioning and is trying to pull itself back together again.  Check out Rumney-upkeep group in Google ... http://groups.google.com/group/rumney-upkeep?hl=en&lnk=

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »

FYI, This group is by invitation only -
http://groups.google.com/group/rumney-upkeep?hl=en&lnk=
I just asked to become a member.  We will see if that happens.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »

Soon  you have to be  this tall to get in... sorry man..   
___

____   

;)     
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »

I knew it, Jake!  Thanks, buddy :)
Hope you have been enjoying the low humidity and dry rock!  Stellar.

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »

I realize this was an old thread, but I'll throw this out there for some knowledge for you guys.  The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has set forth standards regarding rope rescues along with everything else fire-related.  Those standards are ones that all fire departments (both paid and volly) are supposed to abide by.  Unless it's changed in the last few years (which I don't believe it has), the standard dealing with rope rescues dictated that any and all rope, harnesses and other associated gear that is used in any rescue must be NEW and unused.  Which means that they are supposed to pull out new gear each time and not re-use gear from the last rescue.  Once gear is used in a rescue, by the NFPA, it can be used for training purposes but no longer is it supposed to be used for an actual rescue.

Granted, a simple belay of a litter as it's being passed hand-to-hand down a trail isn't exactly high-angle, but even that requires a couple hundred dollars in gear.  Imagine a true high-angle rescue (getting climbers down from the middle of a multi-pitch route) and all of the gear needed for that and the cost for any small fire department can be crippling.

So, yes, it would be a good idea to get familiar with the locals there and anywhere else that you might climb on a regular basis.  Chances are, they are all grossly under-equipped and lacking in training of even basic stuff.  Hell, on my old department back home I doubt there were more than a handful of people out of the 40-50 on the roster that could tie a bowline, and even fewer that could tie a figure 8 as well.....

DLottmann

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »

That's a completely unreasonable standard and is created either from a lack of understanding gear durability/longevity or a need to spend more tax payers money so your budget doesn't get cut the following year... Luckily most dedicated high-angle rescue organizations, YOSAR, MRS, even NPS, don't abide by those standards...

As has been mentioned, firemen are not always prepared physically and technically for anything but simple carry outs, and when ever possible local mountain rescue folks (climbers) are hopefully available to get the litter to the road...

danf

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

David, I can't argue the unreasonability of the the standard with today's equipment.  It may have changed in the last few years, but I doubt it has.  The NFPA does change standards from time to time, but high-angle rescue scenarios are few and far between in the overall scope of what the average fire department does so it is one of those standards that doesn't get a lot of attention.  Understand though that, that particular standard has been in place for well over 10 years (since I was last on a department and was looking at it), and likely has been in place for 20-30 years or more.  When the standard was written, it may not have been very unreasonable given the materials used in the equipment and ropes at the time.

My point though, if it wasn't clear enough, was that getting to know the departments in the area (Rumney, Conway, etc) is not a bad idea- especially if a training opportunity can be had prior to the next time a rescue is needed.  Standards aside, most departments don't have much equipment for a higher-angle rescue other than a litter.  When I left the department back home 11 years ago, the only rope that was carried on the rescue truck at the time was an ancient bag of laid "Goldline"....

rose

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 12:12:14 PM »

All,

We have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rumneyclimbersassociation

and a new website: www.climbrumney.com

Bill, here is the direct link for donations:  http://www.climbrumney.com/support-us/make-a-donation/

I hope the victim is ok.  Any more updates?

Rose

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 23 queries.