Author Topic: the Outlook  (Read 1388 times)

cwoodman

the Outlook
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »
Jack Dorsey & I recently climbed a couple of new routes (we think) on the Outlook, which is located up in the Mahoosuc Range a few miles east of Berlin, NH.
Both climbs are located left (east) of a route we did last year called 'Hand Over Hand'.
From the east end of the tree island at the top, do a rappel down to a 2 bolt anchor, then rappel further down to just left of the bottom by a small pine tree.
The route follows the line of the rappels.

Sweet Success    5.6
P1. Climb past flakes and small corners and overlaps most any way up to the anchor. The crux move is climbing a short white slab past a bolt. Dirty in spots. 5.6   160'
P2. Better climbing leads past more small features up to a break in some small overlaps, then past a block, and back to the tree island.  5.5   160'  The name is a play on the name of the mountain the Outlook is located on the side of- Mt. Success.

The next route is located just right of this route. From the island, rappel or scramble 80' down and right to a grassy ledge and 2 bolt anchor above the face, then make a rappel down a beautiful face to a long, narrow tree ledge. Close to 200' feet.

Sun and Games  5.7
P1.  From a break on the tree ledge, climb straight up past featured slab and small corners, then step left and climb steeper rock up a beautiful face to the top. The crux is tiptoeing up a white slab to a small, loose looking block and crack. A really nice pitch.  5.7   190'   
A standard rack up to 3" will work. Bring lots of runners.

The view from the Outlook is one of the best in the North Country. You look right out at North Baldcap and behind it, the Presidentials.

Chuck
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:49:23 PM by Admin Al »

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: the Outlook
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
nice job guys. sounds like a great line in a location...
Al Hospers

Jack_Dorsey

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Hi,

Unfortunately I forgot my camera on Tuesday so I didn't get new pictures. However I did add an approximation of the new routes (shown in blue in green) on this picture:

http://jack-dorsey.smugmug.com/Climbing/Rock-Climbing/The-Outlook/14278927_WvBQNZ#1481055055_QQcfF8J

The other pictures on the web page are of our 2010 route that is shown in red on the overview picture.

Jack

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
Jack --Is it me? the lines of your new routes look to be climber's right, not left, of your previous route.

cwoodman

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Jeff,
Since the hiking trail deposits you at the top of the cliff, we describe the climbs 'looking out from the top', not from the bottom- climber's view. Hand Over Hand' is to the right (or west) of the two new ones. In Jack's photo, it is in red. I thought my desciption made sense, and was in psync with Jack's photo, but maybe not. Sorry about any confusion. Great place nonetheless.
Chuck

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
Chuck-- my bad--didn't understand that you were approaching from the hiking trail from the top. Thanks for the clarification. Jeff

Jack_Dorsey

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I added this overview map that shows the parking location and the trail into the Outlook:
http://jack-dorsey.smugmug.com/Climbing/Rock-Climbing/The-Outlook/14278927_WvBQNZ#1482615466_Wbkn7xd

The trail is approximately 1.3 miles long with a vertical rise of 1350 feet. In my opinion the approach is a piece of cake (especially without route development gear). On the other hand my cardio system and legs work pretty well for a guy 1 year short of 70.

Jack

Offline punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »
Aint that the truth, Jack. Im bringing my mountain bike next time  You could out hike me any day.  Nice job guys!
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing