Author Topic: Helmets and Spring Climbing  (Read 371 times)

DLottmann

Helmets and Spring Climbing
« on: March 12, 2004, 09:02:49 AM »
Fun day with friends at Humphrey's yesterday.  There were 7 people climbing on the left slab, plus one boulderer later in the day.  A small bit of ice came off the top and missed 5 people at the 2nd Wanderlust belay.  Out of seven people only 2 were wearing helmets.  I know it's a personal choice and all but people should really think about it some more.  Even after all the ice is down there are loose rocks scattered on the top of routes that could take a sneeze to send down.  I may be over paranoid, but I've seen people wack their heads in the smallest of lead falls.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Helmets and Spring Climbing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:26:07 PM »
well I have to side with the DMAN here. i am one paranoid guy as far as his head goes. i remember years ago seeing someone on a top rope at Rumney come off, swing around and whack their head so bad that they were almost unconcious. it doesn't take a lot. I always wear the helmet these days. it just isn't worth it.

as far as Humphrey's... tho the ice & snow is pretty much gone, there is still stuff around. if you haven't been to the top of the cliff, it is a real revalation as to how much crap is up there just laying around. 2 years ago I was climbing Sticky Wicket and a block the size of a dorm fridge fell off the overhangs left of Aries. fortunately no one was around, but it was big and just let go by itself. Humphrey's a place where a helmet is a must!

even Cathedral is tricky. if you are down by Bombardment, 3 Birches or Fun House be aware. folks walking around on the traverse ledge knock stuff off all the time. ask Joe Lentini sometime about the block that fell over him off that ledge and into a tree right by the trail up to 3 Birches. you can still see the scar on the tree!

Al
Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:58:13 PM »
Two years ago I was on Bombardment when the dead tree at the top of the second pitch decided to snap in half, narrowly missing me and my belayer.  Totally random and without warning.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »
Didn't realize that bombardment was a 2 pitch climb? I am a big helmet fan these days. i know some guys who think I am a puss for wearing one but they are so light these days so why not? Springtime is a big time for shift and change on many clifs. Lots of stuff falls down right through june. Any time you can have stuff dropped on you and going upside down is a bit less freaky with a lid on. last summer I had a full liter of pepsi go flying by while on recombeast ::) the year before that we had a live groundhog fly by while working the FLYING GROUNDHOG 5.10+ PG13 at Deer Leap in VT :o I once took a  blue HB quad cam right between the lookers. Too many reasons to wear one 8)

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 10:59:17 PM »
Didn't realize that bombardment was a 2 pitch climb?

According to Webster's, though you can certainly do it in one.  History says that a squirrel was the original "bombardier" of the 1st ascent party...  kinda fits with you "Flying Groundhog" story....weird huh?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 03:46:14 AM »
The Ground hog went flying about 80 ft off the cliff, right over our heads and landed right in front of a local guide, shook himself off and then ran away, aparently unscathed?

Offline mtnperson

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 04:24:41 AM »
If you are next to me at some climb and not wearing a lid and then get beaned and I have to use my first aid gear and get you out.......... you're getting a bill ;D.  
it's not that life's too short.....
it's that you're dead so long.