Author Topic: winter rock at rumney  (Read 1443 times)

Offline kafkadata

• NEClimbs Newbie
winter rock at rumney
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
How late do you climb at Rumney?  I usually give it up as soon as it gets a little cold in November (or sooner) but do other folks climb in dec-feb?  If yes, what crags/climbs?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: winter rock at rumney
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »
Selson Blue and geographic factor are pretty good ;D

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »
Parallel gully is fun too!  ;D

But seriously, I have climbed in t-shirts on the main wall in December. Just be careful of ice above. That wall is an oven!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
Parking Lot wall and Iron Man Wall are great in the morning if there is full sun, regardless of temperature .  Waimea is great in the afternoon, especially if there is no wind.  I've done Technosurfing in a t-shirt in february..

Offline xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
tradman! you forgot about Franky Lee ;)
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
That thing is usually hollow crap :P

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
There's all kind of winter fun in nh-  south butt, airation buttress, albany, band M................

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »
Way in the Wilderness, Black dike, fafnir, dropline 8)

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
Way in the Wilderness, Black dike, fafnir, dropline 8)

You guys are nuts.  Why would you want to wear all that ironmongery aid climbing in the spindrift when you could be free climbing barefoot in Rumney on the same day?

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »
Baby keeping you up Ward? :):)
Thanks for the tip about Parking Lot Wall in the winter.  I did not know that, might give it a try for the first time this winter if the conditions are right.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
Ward. It is all about diversity and going with the flow of nature. I live in the NE because  I like the change in seasons. I like to play on ice and snow in the winter just as much as I like warm bugg free rock in the fall and that first warm dry  bugg free  rock in the spring. If there is a sunny 50%F day in febuary I would much rather skin up Moosalake and have a great ski day than try and pretend it is summer and waste a good winter fun day by going rock climbing. Likewise when it rains in the rock season I will play music or do a wood working project instead of fighting it and pulling plastic....   gives you a more rounded experience on life.   And yes despite what Ed says Ice is Not just for putting in your martini ;D You can actually climb on the stuff 8)

Offline ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »
Ward. It is all about diversity and going with the flow of nature.    snip-bunch of poetic stuff left out-snip  [It]  gives you a more rounded experience on life.   And yes despite what Ed says Ice is Not just for putting in your martini ;D You can actually climb on the stuff 8)

nick,

actually, what i said was: "why would i want to climb on something that fish swim in 9 months out of the year?  and besides, i don't even put ice in my martini..."  (that would be: boodle's, very dry, three olives, straight-up....)

and what's up with the "more rounded experience" thing? haven't i've been constantly preaching: "anything worth doing is worth doing to excess..."? 

ed

ps. ward, they are nuts... they've hit their heads a few to many times; that's why they have to wear those stupid helmets...

pps.  ;) (just in case you couldn't tell....)

pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
Ward. It is all about diversity and going with the flow of nature. I live in the NE because  I like the change in seasons. I like to play on ice and snow in the winter just as much as I like warm bugg free rock in the fall and that first warm dry  bugg free  rock in the spring. If there is a sunny 50%F day in febuary I would much rather skin up Moosalake and have a great ski day than try and pretend it is summer and waste a good winter fun day by going rock climbing. Likewise when it rains in the rock season I will play music or do a wood working project instead of fighting it and pulling plastic....   gives you a more rounded experience on life.   And yes despite what Ed says Ice is Not just for putting in your martini ;D You can actually climb on the stuff 8)

Nick, you have never been climbing barefoot and with no shirt on sun-drenched rock at Rumney In February I'm guessing.   Try it, you will melt your ice tools.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »
Right arround the  middle of march  If i have had a really good ice season i start getting burned out on the danger factor and get a reall good rock bugg. Rumny has happened on a few of those ocasions. It is amazeing how much safer soloing 5.7 rock feels than leading somethig like the Black dike or anything on a cold brittle day..   April trips to the desert are fableous. All the desert plants are blooming the rock is warm and it is such an exciteing season.  I can not imagin how spring would feel without a real winter preceding it. Real winter feels so much more like real winter when you go up high and wrestle with the demons in full conditions 8)