NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: torn meniscus  (Read 1213 times)

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
torn meniscus
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »

Just had arthroscopic surg friday on my right knee, torn medial meniscus, hardest part now is the no climbing for 4 to 6 weeks and not being able to do much of anything the first few days, but....nothing compared to one of my best climbing partners who just had his FIFTH! torn ACL, 2 in one knee and 3 in the other, he is out for 5 or 6 months.
Had been bothering me for years, but it got worse over this past summer and I would be limping back many times after a day of climbing and really set it off at a friend's indoor barn gym, finally took my head out of the sand and saw a doctor, prob have had for awhile and now also have arthrtitis in that knee, doctor says should be fine to resuming climbing all out after a month or so and will prob be 10 years until the arthritis really begins to bother me, so at age 53, not too bad all and all, but....wish I had checked it out sooner, so dont wait years if you have a chronic joint pain is all I can suggest.

Good timing in between rock and ice seasons to recuperate, will be reading a lot and posting on NEclimbs to fill the void as I am just a hyper climbing kid at heart....climb one for me!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: torn meniscus
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »

good thing the knee has "extra" meniscus.  You won't be completely hammering joint to joint YET   ;)  Lots of low impact like swimming is great ( though prolly not in the Swift)

Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »

Hoping for a speedy recovery for ya Al. Try to make the best of it  ;). Let me know if you need anything.

Jeremy
Good Times + Good Climbs

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:36:58 AM »

yep, its my first one John, so still have some left, the doctor went over the bone to bone scenerio when most of the meniscus is gone, and learned all sorts of interesting facts how meniscus does not regenerate and heal after age 18, and has no nerve endings, the pain is from the surrounding tissue, not the actual meniscus, and can see why people get addicted to painkillers. Hats off to my wife for helping out all weekend, I was getting pretty bored yesterday, the Patriots had a bye week, so no local football, all my climbing partners went to P-Way and one guy took a couple safe "whippers" leading something hard from what my brother told me , wish I was there to see that!  

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »

Thanx Jeremy, we'll be up in the Ravines by early December!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »

good thing whiskey season is coming.

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:58 AM »

I've had two "scopes" on my left knee. I find if I use a support brace when I climb and run it helps out. Just use caution when you get back to activities as we tend to overdo it when we feel better. I learned a tough lesson. (that's why I needed two scopes.)

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:58:55 AM »

Thanx for the tip Steve, will way try to remember to take it easy at first as I know I'll be full of enthusiasm but the price of having to do this all over again is way too much, 5 days now, can bear weight/walk limping, still some swelling, but better each day, cant wait till its over

John you must go nuts with your non climbing due to your hip problem, I guess after awhile you have to accept it, man that part has to be tough, I'm not good at bad reality   

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

Walking is the real problem, I can still fake easy climbing pretty well. Good thing the local crag has a level 2-5 minute approach

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:44:53 PM »

John, you sound like George Hurley. he has trouble walking, but sure can climb...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »

If John laid off the whiskey he might find it is easier to walk!! :-X :-X :P

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »

[ouch]
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »

never worked before   :D

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 07:16:59 AM »

I hear you John. I've always been one to look for adventure where none apparently exists. :o :o

alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 12:37:30 PM »

Been getttin by on nice smooth Cabo Wabo Tequila. Another injury laid up problem is gaining weight, easy to munch out and eat extra hanging around, lot of side effects from post surg. Good timing though, knda crappy weather this weekend, with an early northeaster with 5 to 10 inches expected state wide tonight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 23 queries.