Author Topic: History  (Read 1648 times)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: History
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
A brilliant climber who turned out to be a real fuck

Offline DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
if i learned anything from reading the book its that the key to being a successful climber is to stand 5'3" tall and have a 44 inch waistline and the ability to down a bottle of scotch in one gulp.

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
There is some book in french: Sausure, Balmat who climb mt blanc in France. first women team in nepal in the fifty and all the other ascent like the eiger. In that story, you will have the distinction about fontainebleau and alps which is the difference between trad and sport. How climbing was brought to us and it's development on the influence of the alpine technology. After I think it is yosemite valley in the 70 who was the most important even in climbing. and the story most go on.

Some climber said that today, most of the big chalenge was done and only few very train professional still can improve the climbing level.

DLottmann

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
...which is the difference between trad and sport...

OK, now the truce starts :)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
Fuck the Truce

Offline lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »
Fuck the Truce
History is not a truce. Many climber of the city of paris went to climb and they didn't have mountain. They find fontainebleau and begin to train there technique. A climber who take a course in the summer and train all the winter was in better shape than a guide who wait for summer to climb.

There is a movie on that. It is the first ascent of the cerro torre. It is a kind of competition between old style and new style. In the film, there is also a third person. He always talk about a broken ice axe. New style, associate with competition and sport have two mortal accident, the old style climber give up for two years and climb the cerro torre. He find a broken ice axe at the summit, left by the third climber.

So, keep climbing! 

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
Oh Magoo, you've done it again!

Offline JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 12:33:26 PM »
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
just started reading "The Burgess book of lies" by Adrian and Alan Burgess.....i'll let ya know how much i liked it when i finish it.