NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Moby Grape Rescue  (Read 4059 times)

perswig

• NEClimbs God
Re: Moby Grape Rescue
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »

Not an excuse, but I'd submit that a safe and well-organized retreat of >2 climbers off a multipitch trad cliff can be a technically and emotionally daunting task in any circumstance.  Throw in an inexperienced member, an injury, dusk/dark, or other confounding variables, and it looks even less appealing.

Heuristics are weird things. 

If you're on Cannon, you ought to be prepared for the decision and have the skills to execute ... or be willing to be benighted ... but at some point in our climbing past, most of us probably got in over our heads.  We just didn't have an app for that  ;D.

Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »

Al, they didn't rap because there is a service provided to rescue people who make bad decisions and get in over their heads.
All they needed to do was to make a call and presto, like magic they get rescued. If there was no service, they would have rapped.
So it's like ordering a drink... and if you don't get , you rap off   ;D

DWT

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

Al, they didn't rap because there is a service provided to rescue people who make bad decisions and get in over their heads.
All they needed to do was to make a call and presto, like magic they get rescued. If there was no service, they would have rapped.
So it's like ordering a drink... and if you don't get , you rap off   ;D

I try not to leave any gear when I bail on a bar tab. ;D

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »

I try not to leave any gear when I bail on a bar tab. ;D

LOL...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DGoguen

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »

They just need that some one gave them a rope, as it is done in sport climbing, so they can jug to the top.

You're like the "six degrees of seperation game" only everything leads to Sport Climbing.
Lets try one. Bologna sandwiches and sport climbing.
Bolgna sandwiches have bread. Bread is sometimes wheat. Wheat is a grain. Grain feeds the planet. The planet has many problems. Problems are created by sport climbing.

You try one.

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »

works for me.

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

Thats pretty funny ;D but will it get lost in the english to french translation???
bailing is not failing!!!

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »

You're like the "six degrees of seperation game" only everything leads to Sport Climbing.
Lets try one. Bologna sandwiches and sport climbing.
Bolgna sandwiches have bread. Bread is sometimes wheat. Wheat is a grain. Grain feeds the planet. The planet has many problems. Problems are created by sport climbing.
Fabulous :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »

I'm already lost... what if you add cheese to the baloney ?   Is that like chiseling holds ?

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »

Anything but yellow mustard would be like rap bolting Bachar-Yerian and then spray painting the route grade at the base.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »

Anybody who wants to rap bolt BY would have a long line of " persuaders" waiting.... shit i would prolly not make it into the first 100

Oh Yeah, not to bring this up again, but,

I couldn't lead BY- shouldn't it get bolted up so I can ?

BY is a beef tenderloin among climbs with a nice cracked pepper crust, medium rare

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »

They just need that some one gave them a rope, as it is done in sport climbing, so they can jug to the top.

if you read the post of Dman:" Id ask you go easy on these guys and remember we all fuck up once in awhile. These guys were sincerely embarrassed when the saw how many people were working to get them off the cliff at 1AM, and looked for opportunities to help with the final haul and gear break down."

The guys were sincerely embarassed when they saw... so, they didn't know the procedure in case of rescue in a cliff and how it is dangerous for the rescuer.

if someone was injure and with the cell phone...the possibility to died will have been higher. People know that I make a distinction between learning sport and learning trad. The rescue prove that I am right. if the climbers, and it is what I wish for them, improve in trad, they are not going to be in that kind of situation anymore.

if the reason of there rescue is because I make a distinction between trad and sport...   

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »

Your 'logic' really stretches it, Champ;  I hate to break it to you.
The three are just plain inexperienced (awfully young too!) and got in over their heads.  I really think it is insincere to try to read way too much into the whole episode.  
If you ever need to be rescued on rock or ice, Champ, do we have the privilege to call you a 'sport climber'?  Think about that.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:01:48 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »

Your 'logic' really stretches it, Champ;  I hate to break it to you.
The three are just plain inexperienced (awfully young too!) and got in over their heads.  I really think it is insincere to try to read way too much into the whole episode.  
If you ever need to be rescued on rock or ice, Champ, do we have the privilege to call you a 'sport climber'?  Think about that.

I agree with you. I said: "They just need that some one gave them a rope, as it is done in sport climbing, so they can jug to the top" Indeed, it is just what they need. I don't remember to have said that they are sport climber. I do said that rescue involve a lot of logistic and it is better to self rescue. and I recommand that, if you start at five thirty in the morning and plan 8 hours to do the route...bail if you are still at the pitch 6 at four or five o'clock. Eight hours for 6 pitch, it is one hour twenty per pitch and moby is 9 pitches. So, theorically, you are at four hour from the top.

I agree with Dman when he said; "go easy on these guys and remember we all fuck up once in awhile" I know that it is an other experience for them.   I had a bad one in september even if I top at the summit. all my fault. I think that if you learn in sport and think that a beginer is 5.8...this story will help many climber. 

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »

.this story will help many climber. 
I hope it helps some.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.