NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Moby Grape Rescue  (Read 3864 times)

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
Re: Moby Grape Rescue
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »

. The rescue prove that I am right.

no,  you're not.   
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »

A rescue commenced, coordinated by the N.H. Fish and Game Department. Franconia Notch State Park officials opened the Cannon Mountain tramway and ferried Mountain Rescue Service crew and Fish and Game officers up the mountain at 10:40 p.m. From the top, the search team located the climbers using GPS coordinates from the 911 call and light signals from the stranded men. Mountain Rescue Service volunteers hiked from the summit down to a point where they could lower three rescuers by rope to the climbers' location, where they secured the young men with ropes, and all were lifted to safety about 1:40 a.m. The teens were cold and tired, but not injured. They were then able to hike down the mountain, along with the rescue team, arriving at the parking lot at 2:45 a.m.

"We are seeing multiple rescues every weekend," said N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officer James Kneeland. "Among other safety precautions, hikers and climbers need to take into account that the days are getting shorter when they plan their fall outings."

In another incident on Sunday evening (October 24, 2011), 46-year-old hiker Brian Pflanz of Somersworth, N.H., was rescued on Mount Major in Alton. Pflanz became disoriented and lost the trail near the summit, then slipped and fell on a mossy area. He was not injured, but realized he was off the trail and it was getting dark, so he called for help about 6:30 p.m. N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers and Alton Fire Department personnel responded, finding him using GPS coordinates via his cell phone, and hiked him back down the mountain trail, arriving at the trailhead about 8:20 p.m.

What ever happened to spending a night in the woods?

sp115

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »

"We are seeing multiple rescues every weekend," said N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officer..."

I truly wonder if this isn't a result of selling climbing gear next to bikes and kayaks.

DGoguen

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »

What ever happened to spending a night in the woods?

I agree.
We've all been benighted. After the first one you realize it doesn't kill you. You might do situps all night but I'd never make that cell call.
That first night out is a bit of a revelation, these kids just panicked.
It's amazing how much better you feel once the sun comes up.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »

"We are seeing multiple rescues every weekend," said N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officer..."

I truly wonder if this isn't a result of selling climbing gear next to bikes and kayaks.

Because this hasn't been happening at REI,EMS, etc for decades.....    blame the user not the supplier.   Cars have been crashing for 100 years.. it must be Ford's fault.   

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »

I believe it is entirely a product of cell phones. I kn ow i will get crap for this from some goody two shoes but there are many times that I conciously leave the cell at home when headiing into the woods. There are those days when I feel like going retro and being completly in charge of my own destiny without a panic button in my pack.

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »

also with the internet you just hear about more.  I'm sure there were plenty before but you never knew about it unless it was bad enough and got into the  Accidents book.    not to say that people dont' call more  but it is also reported more too. 

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »

I believe it is entirely a product of cell phones. I kn ow i will get crap for this from some goody two shoes but there are many times that I conciously leave the cell at home when headiing into the woods. There are those days when I feel like going retro and being completly in charge of my own destiny without a panic button in my pack.

Yes I agree my group of friends pretty much always leaves the cell phones in the car. Sometimes I bring mine on long hikes just because it makes my wife feel better if I call every couple of days.

There is a good thread on Gunks.com about cell phones and rescues and people make some good points about cell phonest both in favor and against. I also learned in that thread that a group got benighted on top of Trapps and called for a rescue. I mean, what the faaaak.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

sp115

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »

Because this hasn't been happening at REI,EMS, etc for decades.....    blame the user not the supplier.   Cars have been crashing for 100 years.. it must be Ford's fault.  

My post was somewhat rhetorical, but since you provided an analogy I'll clarify: it's not the box-store distribution scheme, but more of the general attitude that climbing is now some lifestyle activity that is no more difficult get involved in than staying upright on two wheels.

Here comes the BITD crap part of my argument - a little over 25 years ago I walked into IME and basically told them to hook me up. They politely refuse to sell me anything until I took at least some basic lessons. Seemed stupid at the time, then I learned all the fun and exciting ways to kill myself and realized they might have been a lot smarter than I gave them credit for.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:31:18 PM by sp115 »

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »

Yea they were. they got to sell you the lessons most liklly. Glad i was able to learn without getting held up by a store that also guided......

Cool thread on the taco awhile back. An older gent hiking in the pacific NW was about 10 days over due by about 10 days. they started a search but he hiked out on his own. Not lost, not hurt just turned out his  route was tougher than expected and took him longer. He was hungy but fine and did it on his own....

DGoguen

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

I'm already lost... what if you add cheese to the baloney ? 

That's the beauty of ideology, you're always right.
John likes his Bologna with cheese. Cheese is a dairy product. Dairys have barns. Barns are red. Red is the color of satan. Satan created sport climbing.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 03:42:32 PM »

Satan created sport climbing.
Oops, I guess some of us are going straight to hell then.  Darn it :)

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

sp115

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »

Yea they were. they got to sell you the lessons most liklly. Glad i was able to learn without getting held up by a store that also guided...

No actually I got six full days of lessons from the Narragansett chapter of the AMC for around $100. Not sure if that was a hold-up by your standards, but it seemed like deal to me at the time.  Eventually I did go back and buy most I my gear from them, Rock and Snow, my local gym.  Surely there can't be an issue with supporting local shops in the areas I climb? Unless of course you make all your gear?

Anyway, I may need a rescue someday, so I'm not going down the path of that-would-have-never-happened-to-me, but...

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »

I still remember a time, about 30 years ago, when I was doing Moby Grape with Roger Martin, who did the 1st ascent with Joe Cote. We were in t shirts, just below that funny pitch where you stem right and reach out for that huge flake, (just below the finger of fate). Anyway, this freak thunderstorm came in suddenly, and hit hard with hail and lightning. The pitch became a waterfall, and the temperature dropped about 30 degrees.

We were getting a little worried, as we were shivering violently.

We got up O.K.

I wonder if we had cell phones -- would we have been tempted to use them ?  I doubt it.

Roger, in particular, was a pretty tough nut.

If you want to make your adventure more committing--leave the cell phone at home, and cut down on potential rescues. Just saying.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »

I'm already lost... what if you add cheese to the baloney ? 

That's the beauty of ideology, you're always right.
John likes his Bologna with cheese. Cheese is a dairy product. Dairys have barns. Barns are red. Red is the color of satan. Satan created sport climbing.

I understand now... ::)

Tube steaks avec frommage = sport climbing
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.