NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Moby Grape Rescue  (Read 3910 times)

DLottmann

Moby Grape Rescue
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »

3 climbers, male ages 18-20, were stranded on the 7th pitch of Moby Grape last night after starting the climb at about 6:45AM. After a stuck rope, and loosing the route and becoming exhausted, they hunkered down and called 911. Mountain Rescue Service responded to a call out at 8:45pm. 11 team members responded. From above Moby Grape a rescuer was lowered about 380 feet and hauling systems were used to raise the 3 climbers and rescuer to the top of the cliff. Climbers were cold but uninjured. They had underestimated the seriousness of the climb as it was there first time climbing in New Hampshire, except for a day earlier at Rumney. After descending the Lakeview descent trail the team and victims reached the Tram parking lot at 3am.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:32:45 PM by DMan »

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
Re: Moby Grape Rescue
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »

ok might as well lock this up now before feelings get hurt in the thread...  :P
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »

NO way - otherwise we will have no way of assigning blame.

I blame in order of significance
  1. Today's youth
  2. Cell phones
  3. State of NH
  4. Rumney
  5. Government regulations

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »

You dumbass you forgot to blame illegal immigrants!
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »

Didn't they show their passports at the NH border?  ;)

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »

LO friggin' L
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »

WAH- I'm cold and it's dark 'cause i fucked up   !!

Fuck You...Live with it you fucker's... learn some shit, next time try a fucking headlamp, it's almost november. 

need a rescue ' cause your in the dark /-- Fuck  you-- pay me

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »

What John said!   Seneca has a large official notice on the kiosk for the climbers trail that clearly states that darkness is NOT a reason to call for a rescue!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »

380"  ?  Shit, iv'e lowered farther to clean a route/

tinker

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »

Like dude its only 5.8 we send way harder than that at the gym!  ::) Glad the are OK, hope a lesson has been learned.  Oh and hell yeah they should have to pay for the rescue!

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »

darkness is NOT a reason to call for a rescue!

I think it too and darkness is not also a reason to risk the live of the rescue team.

What is the legal consequences if a rescue team had wait until sunrise the next morning to find them on the cliff and an accident happen?  

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »

in terms of YOSAR- the team may be drunk by morning !.. That said, the finest rescue squad around, for sure.  Shit john Dill taught me more about rescues in 2 days than I learned the rest of my life.

bm-andy

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 04:43:17 AM »

Having worked for YOSAR briefly , I can vouch for drunken mornings or at the very least a man sized hangover.

DLottmann

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »

To clarify they all had headlamps, they just couldnít figure out where the route went from that pitch 7 little chimney, especially when it got dark. Iíve gotten lost there in broad daylight my first 2 times climbing Moby Grape but found an exit out to the right. Probably couldnít find it in the dark and Iíve climbed the Grape 6 or 7 times now. They were dressed for daytime Fall temps on Cannonm but not prepared with any bivy gear. They assumed the route would take 8 hours and that would be that.

Itís easy to cast accusations, but I wonít forget how little I knew the first few years I climbed. I remember people flying by me on Lakeview when I was a first year climber, 16 years old, and they were shaking their head. I didnít understand what they disapproved of. Maybe my helmet-less head, lack of a pack, shoddy looking anchor, etc. I think it was sheer dumb look I was never rescued my first couple of years.

That being said, the one question I wish I asked these guys on the hike out is ďSo why didnít you rappel the route when it was getting dark?Ē They had two ropes, and plenty of shiny gear to leave behind. The two non-leader climbers were encouraging the leader to keep going despite the late hour. If they werenít all comfortable with multi-pitch rappelling in the dark they should not be on Cannon, period.

As one of the rescuers commented on the hike out ďLearning to turn around is one of the hardest things for a climber to learn.Ē

Those are some words of wisdom.

Iíd ask you go easy on these guys and remember we all fuck up once in awhile. These guys were sincerely embarrassed when the saw how many people were working to get them off the cliff at 1AM, and looked for opportunities to help with the final haul and gear break down. Good kids, bad decision that day. All worked out well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:45:23 PM by DMan »

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »

sheesh...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 23 queries.