NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reminder, or how to be politiclic correct  (Read 850 times)

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
reminder, or how to be politiclic correct
« on: October 28, 2011, 10:29:07 AM »

After an accident, people always talk about climber's mistake and insult them. After a climbing injury, a person don't really appreciate that. Often, the effect is more scaring people than to bring them to a higher level of awardness. As nobody is cite at the begining of the season, we can insult the future victim before the accident. The result will be that the climber will think at what I should not do to be in the same situation more than am I not going to be as stupid asn the guy trap in the wilderness.

I hope that you will begin your advice/insult in the same sentence style. It is a statement: if you do...., and a "reminder".

if you plan a route without thinking a retreat in case of bad weather, your stupid!

if you go in the mountain without a compass, your stupid!

if you climb ice grade IV and can not climb a grade two on your crampon without ice axe, your stupid!

there is many more.     

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
Re: reminder, or how to be politiclic correct
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »

If your idea if climbing is spending time on message boards then....

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »

If your idea if climbing is spending time on message boards then....

especially on a pretty day like this one. good thing I got in a nice hike this morning... [grin]
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DWT

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »

After an accident, people always talk about climber's mistake and insult them. After a climbing injury, a person don't really appreciate that. Often, the effect is more scaring people than to bring them to a higher level of awardness. As nobody is cite at the begining of the season, we can insult the future victim before the accident. The result will be that the climber will think at what I should not do to be in the same situation more than am I not going to be as stupid asn the guy trap in the wilderness.

I hope that you will begin your advice/insult in the same sentence style. It is a statement: if you do...., and a "reminder".

if you plan a route without thinking a retreat in case of bad weather, your stupid!

if you go in the mountain without a compass, your stupid!

if you climb ice grade IV and can not climb a grade two on your crampon without ice axe, your stupid!

there is many more.     

WHO CARES?  Just climb.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »

If you head up into the Ravines to "have a look" during "Considerable Avalanche postings", you guessed it, you're stupid. ;D

I climbed during considerable avalanche posting, I saw how the pack was building, and I never be there in lower avalanche posting knowing the snow and what I saw when I climb at the good time. I plan my route and the danger. It was not a stupid decision as the one I took when I did a hike without looking at the weather, particularly the hight wind. I don't recommand it, but if you want to improve your safety level...some day, you have to try it in a mountain that you know before trying it on some thing bigger and where you don't have any choice.

To Old Eric, making a briefing before a season is some thing that any intervention group do. When a manifestation is going to take place, police officer make a briefing before to remember what to do or not. Firefighter have practice to simulate some intervention. The list is long. I thought that people will understand that before an ice season, it is good to remember the mistake that other did to be aware of the danger I can face. I am surprize by your post because it is not like the one you use to write.

To DWT, all the peoples who wrote accident in north america, and mountaineering freedom of the hill care about it. all beginer want to climb safe and have fun after. Maybe the form is not one that people are use too. But I think that nobody want to be stupid and if they think a little before going in the wild, if they think to bring a compass or a bivy...they willl not call the rescue and they will get out of the trouble safely.

DWT

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »

Champ,

"Who cares" wasn't the appropriate manner to convey my sentiment. 

Your original post suggests folks are getting in trouble and that's a failure of the climbing community.  Or that the jabs people take in an internet forum amount to more than a hill of beans.  I couldn't disagree more.  People are going to make judgements and spew on the internet.  It's just noise.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »

Or that the jabs people take in an internet forum amount to more than a hill of beans.  I couldn't disagree more.  People are going to make judgements and spew on the internet.  It's just noise.

I understand, my mistake. Not a bad translation, but the world I use was not appropriate.

It is hard to find some exact world. I think that the climbing community gave too much place to sport climbing and trad climber must defend there ethic of climbing all the time. talk to some old climber how many jab they received? retro bolting, hanging on the rope, cliff close because there is some objective danger, bad reputation because he climbed in remote area, etc. if you climb 5.12 in sport you are good, but the climber can not be able to do fugue at canon...and if you want to climb false aspiration, that I climbed twice and fugue either, I will not be able to find some one because of the community said that it is not as safe as with bolt.

when I began to climb, I was so happy to find a piton in a route. It took some times before I learned how to protect myself. when I trained safety, I didn't trained for movement and, as anybody who top rope, new climber was able to climb at my level on the crag or with bolt. when we told that a sport climber don't have the knowledge for some dangerous situation...they didn't try to understand, but there is less people in the cliff. planning a route like moby grape to know when to bail, for example, is some think important at this time of the year.

but some people will say that if they had bolt, the climber will not have to learn safety and a classic will become a bolt route. and we will have to fight again to keep trad ethic.           

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 23 queries.