NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice Climbing!  (Read 810 times)

Myxomatosis

• NEClimbs Newbie
Ice Climbing!
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »

I'm in the process of dropping the small fortune into Ice Gear, and now I'm just wondering where to start? What routes are a good place to learn the basics and how will I know how far along the ice is? Any other advice?

DWT

Re: Ice Climbing!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »

As far as conditions,you'll know the ice is in when fellow posters begin arguing about accident/rescue cause and effect.  ;D

LOL :D

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »

I started climbing ice last season. I took lessons throughout the season and did a good amount of climbing with people i found online and just solo tbh as partners are a bitch to find!! I am def looking for "A" reliable or "A FEW" reliable weekly climbing partners for the season.

As far as routes to learn or cut your teeth it really depends on what you are talking about. Do you have a partner or are you talking easy stuff you might feel ok about climbing yourself. If this is what you are talking about PM me as you will get a ass load of shizzah for talking about climbing alone as a beginer on any climbing forum " i did"! I will say this after a few lessons last season i felt plenty cozy to do many basic WI2-3 routs and even a bit of WI 4. I will add i am a bit of a nut a probably willing to push the envelope quite a bit further than most and further than most anyone would ever suggest to a relative beginner.

Cheers and best of luck to you as it is not an easy sport to break into with the short season, cost of gear and lack of people to climb with as a beginner.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »

The most important gear is boots that fit YOU and then your own crampons, used axes/tools. Almost any tool made in the last 10 years will do the trick if the price is right and it is in reasonably decent shape....

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »

I'm in the process of dropping the small fortune into Ice Gear, and now I'm just wondering where to start? What routes are a good place to learn the basics and how will I know how far along the ice is? Any other advice?

For me, learn the basic is the first question. I think that learning to use your crampon whitout ice axe is very important. if you climb 5.10 in rock, you will be able to climb a grade IV. but if you know the basic technique iwith crampon it is better. There are the french technique and the german technique. Each of them have there limits and interest in many situation. If yor calves are burn, you can rest even in a grade 5 if you look carefully at the ice. after a day of practice i climbed a grade IV on top rope very easily.

After I will suggest to climb with just one ice tool. particularly if you use your only ice axe over your head and outside the shoulder you use. You will practice balance. so, if your right ice axe fail, you will be able to stay on blance with two good crampon and your left ice tool.

after, I will climb in body X position

finally, I will learn alternative ice tool movement.

The other step is to climb grad VI.

Note that you are not going to climb hard, but your are going to climb safe. I use those basic technique to climb la pomme d'or. I don't gave courses. I write this just for safety. 

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »

As far as ice route go - that depends on where you LIVE honestly.

My experience has been - but the best gear that you can afford right from the get go! Too many climbers (myself included! I tried to save some money buying 'lesser' technical or less expensive gear only to wind up buying better boots, ice tools, etc. later on again anyway!
 In the end it wouldn't up 'COSTING' me more money that if I bought better equipment in the first place!
Michael Urban, RN
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.