NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GOS hike  (Read 549 times)

perswig

• NEClimbs God
GOS hike
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »

So, I'm going a bit stir-crazy, I haven't done anything remotely cardiovascular in months, and I've recently experienced some mildly-alarming chest pressure (probably something I ate, but who knows?). 

I decide a hike up the GOS trail is in order.  It'll be a good stress test for the heart - if I collapse on the way up, I'm probably not ready for ice season.

I'm at Pinkham pretty early, courtesy of a minimal LE presence on the drive over. 
It's eeriely empty.

Hmm.  Where is everyone?  Are they not ready to schralp the gnar, commune with nature, hug the trees?
Whatev's.  I'm heading up.

If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

perswig

• NEClimbs God
Re: GOS hike
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »

Conditions are sweet...

...but the paucity of humanity is nagging my subconscious.  What am I missing?  What do they know that I don't?  (Who is John Galt?)
Then it hits me - I forgot to check the avi forecast.  Of course!  Maybe THAT'S what's keeping the masses away.

I dig a 'hasty pit'.

Looks bomber, no instabilities there.  Green light, baby.

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »

The bottom half goes much like that, dodging runoff, mud, and shrubbery.
By midway, I'm into 6-8" mash potato conditions, which persists into the Gulf proper.  Despite that, the going is pretty easy, my heart hasn't exploded, and I make the upper cache close to my usual skinning time.  Not bad for off the couch.

My original (as usual wildly optimistic) plan was to head up one of the slides, or the south 'snowfields', and catch either Davis or Boott Spur and back down.  However, I'm up so early that everything is still socked in.

I stall.
I make some forays into the scrub.  
I realize with such sparse snow cover it is going to be a HEINOUS 'shwack just to get into one of the slides.
I elect to bail.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:16:27 AM by perswig »

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:19:01 AM »

Of course, as I retrace my steps with a heavy (albeit apparently healthy) heart, a light breeze picks up and some of the cover breaks.

The views of Boott are inviting, but I head down anyway. 

The descent is a slushy glissade.

The view from the lot is marginally better than when I started.

Despite everything, a nice day.  Solitary hike, no syncope or arrhythmias, conditions check of the Gulf.  Life is good.

Dale

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »

Postscript.

I admitted to booting up GOS trail at confession last night (a cardinal if unwritten sin) and was given penance.  I'm not to engage in top-roping or self-abuse for 60 days, after which my soul will be clean again.

Dale

DWT

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »

Glad to hear the ticker's OK Dale.  ACatta posted a photo on another site entitled Lemonade.  I think it summed up the early season conditions very well(lemons). 

This is the time of year when Rock Rimmon gets a little love.  There were a few folks there when I got back from squishing around the trails up north this weekend.  I was jealous of them. ::)

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »

Did a similarly satisfying fitness check yesterday hiking Champney Falls trail up and down Chocorua with 2 good friends to see the undercast and a brief blue "sucker hole" in the clouds from the top-- the day before they had hiked/swum/climbed up Hitchcock Gulley to the rock band to find not even a single ice cube. They found that and the subsequent "sherpa" arm rappels back down to also be strangely satisfying-- what we do in the early season continues to amaze us and even more so our long suffering spouses. The explanation that we "were outside on the hill" doesn't seem sufficient to some. Hence our need to post here.... :P ;D

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »

what we do in the early season continues to amaze us and even more so our long suffering spouses. The explanation that we "were outside on the hill" doesn't seem sufficient to some. Hence our need to post here.... :P ;D

Totally agree Jeff...    ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.