Author Topic: Cover Shots  (Read 544 times)

Offline Axel

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love my YBB, "Wha...?"
Cover Shots
« on: March 25, 2004, 01:34:09 pm »
Damn, Nice cover photos Al, keep them comin.... ;D

You should update the gallery, as Im sure youve got tons of other good shots.

Thanks for the great site.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Cover Shots
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 01:51:06 pm »
hey Axel,

thanks for the kind words. that Sam Morton is an excellent photog. he just knows how to get a good shot. <grin> I know I have to work on the gallery. it's one of those tasks that just is thankless & has to be done. I want to go thru all of the home page shots & make them even bigger & put them in the gallery. it's a couple of days effort & there always seems like there is just so much darn CLIMBING to be done. <grin> point very well taken tho.

cheers,

Al
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 03:14:50 pm »
 ;Dsam might be a  pretty good shooter but if we have to look at your butt all week  maby you should wear somthing a bit  more sexy ;D ;D ;D Actualy once in a great while a butt shot actualy works. this one is ok but there was a really good shot  from Repentence a few years ago on neice  that was  stellar. There is more to a photo than composition.  that butt shot from repentance rated so high in my book for the following reasons. #1 reputation of the climb #2 nasty weather #3 good composition.  The Peggasus shot works  because of the  leashless tool in mid swing (cutting edge technology and news wourthy) and the fact that it is our fearless leader ;D I really liked Scotti C's shot from last week on W.G. Snow covered rock and a leader coming up.  ( didn't look much like a beginner climb to me ;D) Keep em coming . It would be pretty cool to have a contest where  only the cover shot's could be judged and a prize given away at the end of the season.

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 09:04:04 am »
It would be pretty cool to have a contest where  only the cover shot's could be judged and a prize given away at the end of the season.

I likey!  Let the neclimbs community vote at the relative end to each season for best cover shot... that would get me out there with my camera more...

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 12:05:49 pm »
i think a photo comp is a good idea. some questions:

so would it be once a year?
one for rock & one for ice?
is it only of cover shots, or can anyone send in a shot?
who judges?
are pros like tradmanclimz excluded?

hmmm...
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 02:19:08 pm »
If it is open to all ammatures then you will have a TON of work to do sorting em all out and dealing with all those submissions. I like the cover shot runoff because it narrows the feild down and makes it easier to judge the thing at the end. Of course Al gets many of the cover shots so we would have to figure out a way to include him. realisticly That idea won't work.  To be impartial and have a fair contest  we might have to exclude Al ??? Also would have to limit submissions to a certain # of shots per entrant to control the work load.  2 contests would be nice. Rock and Ice. The contest that they had on the other site that was judged by the members ended kind of funky. poor Judgeing. I feel that it would be better to have a small pannel of judges that actualy know a bit about photography as that would add to the validity of the win. (i would volentere) Also might be nice to keep it open to pro's. Most pro shooters don't shoot climbing for a liveing. I shoot Ski and Snowboarding in winter and Horses in summer.  many others do weddings Ect. We never get to play in these things. maby get some gear manufactures to donate prizes?

Offline JBriscoe

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Any bad day outside, beats the best day at work!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 09:57:10 pm »
 :-*
I would say twice a year with cover shots only. IM not a pro. Im a tradesman. If I had to support my habit of gear. By selling photos I would have to retire... :'( :'(

Anyway's, I don't have much of a shot... I sent in what I thought was a killer pic and I got beat out buy Beta man!
Whats up with that...?
Anyways. It fun to just be outside. I will send it off to Climbing Mag instead of my buddy AL... ::)

Just messing
Keep up the good work Man!!!
JBriscoe

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 09:52:30 pm »
actually if you send me a shot all wrapped up with that HTML or Rich Text crap, how can I tell if it's any good at all. <grin> besides, you sent it to your whole family, not just to me. <sigh>

besides, it was April 1 & Beta Man is the balls...

<LOL>

Al
Al Hospers

Offline JBriscoe

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Any bad day outside, beats the best day at work!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 05:29:03 am »
Ouch,,,

Ok, You have your opinions of "BetaMan" I understand they probably didn't let him out of the cube for his early years of product developement. It sad indeed. :'(

But, dont be fooled. This carpenter has plenty of tools/toys that lets him see the sun more often. So, don't pick on the guy when he doesnt send it in the right format...  ??? or understand what a cube farm really is?

I will still keep you in mind when that killer shot happens.

Later,
JBriscoe

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 06:05:01 am »
it is true that Beta Man was grown in a cube farm. however he escaped in his 40's and has been running "free" ever since. there actually was another Beta Man sighting the other day. as he flew by he whispered that Lost Horizon Cliff was the crag of choice right now.

get it while you can...

Al
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 08:23:52 am by admin »
Al Hospers