NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Willoughby  (Read 1447 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Willoughby
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »

Yes is is Awsome ;D Speaking of sandbags. I just read the Ed Webster Description of Repentance rock climb and he has the chockstone @ 5.6!

5.6 A1...lol
I saw you didn't have a #3 or any gear under the chockstone...did you not have any? Very bold pulling that move with the gear at your feet!!  ;) Nice work Nick!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »

Good one nick....5.6 double plus at least

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »

Ha, ha I had TWO #3 cams stuffed up in the crack. Still thought it was pleanty spicy scratching to the top ;D the Ed webster description is to stem over the chockstone @ 5.6. Wonder if he was smoking something when he wrote that 8)

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »

As a ROCK climb, it's 5.9  and trying to stem it would be harder. i would say A1  as a mixed/ice climb   :D

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »

I graded it 5.8 my ass 8) which is solid 5.9  You  get a few  good hand jams and some interesting edgeing with the crampon points, a  left hand sloper sidepull w gloves on. then the tricky part is getting a tool into your hand for the little slot hook then knee jam grovel to finally a decent foot jam and some real sticks. I have Never done A1 that felt even remotely that difficult/fun.

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »

First trip to Willoughby this past weekend. Sounds like I had similar conditions to Al. A little brittle and in consistent. Very chilly. While I was leading on slabs right my partner witnessed our neighbors perform the infamous 2 rope TR with the ever so popular off belay passing of the knot. And can anyone explain why when you greet a French Canadien  climber they just stare at you blankly?
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »

still can not comprehend why anyone would do that. 400ft of rope in the system you are going to take 30ft fall on top rope :P

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 12:00:06 PM »

still can not comprehend why anyone would do that. 400ft of rope in the system you are going to take 30ft fall on top rope :P

Soooooofffffft catch!!  ;) :P
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »

Right, add the likelihood that the knots not super cinched and slippage through the belay device and you could be looking at a 50 footer. Why anyone would top rope at Willoughby is beyond me.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »

Climbed Mindbender and Renormalization at the Lake with Paul Cormier today. Tho it was a fabulous day, this is the last day at the Lake for me this winter. The sun is just too warm now. By the time we finished Renormalization at about 2:30 close to 50 and the screws were melting out!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:35:16 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 06:33:13 AM »

any other year and I would think that was an April fools post  but this year I believe you :o

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »

no April Fools joke, but some would have said we were April fools for doing it on a day this warm! BTW, while the ice was soft in places, it was also brittle, punky, plastic, fractured, smooth, candled, fat, thin and everything in between. in one particularly hard spot near the top of the crux on Mindbender the ice got totally clear and you could see the water running behind it! neither one of us had the words "hero ice" come to mind! [wry grin]
Al Hospers

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »

Sounds like Al got "renormalized" just in time for rock/bike season; not a minute to spare--now temps will probably drop to low teens and we'll have a blizzard!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »

Sounds like Al got "renormalized" just in time for rock/bike season; not a minute to spare--now temps will probably drop to low teens and we'll have a blizzard!

too true...
Al Hospers

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 23 queries.