NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Crawford Notch: Frankenstein, Mt Willard, Mt Webster, etc.  (Read 9775 times)

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Crawford Notch: Frankenstein, Mt Willard, Mt Webster, etc.
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »

Agree with frik-- every 200 feet of ice or 20 feet of rock you climb doesn't need a name to be worth doing! If it's in the Whites and visible from a road or a trail, it's probably been done before; just have fun doing it! :-*

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »

Was at Frankenstein this morning with IMCS owner Brad White. With temps in the low 40's, needless to say everything was pouring water. We climbed the first pitch of Standard Route on the right side. That was good but the middle had large holes with lots of water pouring out PLUS there was ice coming off the upper fangs. With warm weather in the predictions for the next few days it may be best to not count on lower elevation climbing until it gets cold again. That said, with all the water in the system right now we should be in great shape as soon as the temps do drop.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »

Agree with frik-- every 200 feet of ice or 20 feet of rock you climb doesn't need a name to be worth doing! If it's in the Whites and visible from a road or a trail, it's probably been done before; just have fun doing it! :-*

Doesn't need a name to be worth doing, but having a name can really help with directions no?

I'm glad to hear about the history, Hagan's, Sea of Green, that gives climbs life...

I don't think those names need to stick, since sure, someone probably climbed it before. So my geographically based "Slab Approach to The Cleft" describes what climb it is, is short enough, and shouldn't offend anyone.

"That Thing To The Right of LHMW That Everyone Is Arguing About On NEClimbs" also works...

snowleopard

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »

Frik, nobody here is pissing on anybody from the 70's or any other decade for that matter.  Nor has anyone claimed who/when it was first climbed.

Jeff, the anecdote about a line visible from a road/trail having probably been climbed is no great news flash.  Not to mention, everyone who
commented about names pretty much indicated they had "fun doing it" as a climb.

The only point was to possibly call it something for the purpose of this conditions forum in order to indentify the line and its location.

To be clear, I posted to simply contribute the only name I ever heard anyone call the route.  As stated in my post we assumed it was climbed prior
to us (never thought it a FA)  and tried to find any history to no avail (which by the way did include asking people who climbed there in the 70's)

Sooner or later it will eventually have a name.  Jim Hagan called it "Sea of Green".  Jim would be more concerned with fun to give a rats ass about
what anyone else wants to call it.  I'm happy to keep calling it "the slabby flow north of Hitchcock and below The Cleft that Hagan called "Sea of Green"
as I've done while "just having fun doing it" occasionally for the last 25 years since I first did it with him.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »

I don't agree with the "if it can be seen from the road " bit  MAYBE for ice, but certainly not for rock

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »

Back in the Pleistocene, we weren't allowed to name climbs we hadn't been in on the first ascent of.
I know... a stoopid rule, but we followed it for the most part.

Once a non-geographically descriptive name enters common usage, it pretty much stays there.
Eventually you have the situation where the 18th edition of Shades of Blue has it named and credited... incorrectly.

Also: Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

Also+: this is for Luke... the reference to "Shades of Blue" is a joke.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »

I figure if someone did a route but didn't name/report it and someone else comes along and names it (whether claiming FKA or FA not knowing it was done) then that's actually fine.

In this case it seems like someone just had their own name for it and wasn't even trying to name it, but it would be fine IMO if the guidebook authors chose to use that name for future editions of the book formerly known as Shades of Blue.

But then again I'm not an old fart with nothing better to complain about like frik is!
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »

What, don't i even rate a gif?

Also: you, are on my lawn!

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

Sorry...

-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »

I'm flattered, you would confuse me with Fred Becky

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »

I was thinking Jed. But you are correct sir that chick looks way too old for Jed!
-bristolpipe

-Stoney Middleton

-Friar Tuck

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

Now that's funny!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »

I'm flattered, you would confuse me with Fred Becky

Fred would have been reaching for a wallet,not her ass..just sayin'

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »

First the wallet, then her ass! ;D

markvnh

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2013, 10:19:23 PM »

Things changed allot in a week. Most of the snow cover was gone or patchy. Shoestring had ice up top but would have been a thrash to get to. Lower Willard mostly gone. Upper Willard looked ok. There were a bunch of people headed to LHMW and upper tier.

Wound up driving to Dixville Notch and did Parasol Gully. It was cold and very windy! The bottom was a few inches thick (pin was first pro) with the ability to get a short screw in before the mostly fiat section. The ice was pretty brittle and dinner plating. The rest of the climb was in very good condition.

And had it to ourselves!

Oh - and stop at Sullivan's Irish Pub in Lancaster for good beer and an even better burger!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.