Author Topic: Kancamagus Highway area to the top of the pass  (Read 11781 times)

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
Re: Kancamagus Highway area to the top of the pass
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2016, 01:03:11 PM »
Damn that looks nice mark... 25 degrees on Sunday. I'll hold the rope if you are ambitious. PM me if interested.

Tempting but the approach would probably be pretty beastly with the gate closed (maybe 14 miles rt) to most likely find it iced up. I might ski/snowshoe out there this winter some time just to see what it is like though, as I haven't done that from the north yet. Will let you know.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Winterlude
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
Brad White and I climbed Winterlude off the Kanc on Friday. It was a real thrash getting in there, even with snowshoes. There was just enough crust to float on top for a step or two, and then you were through and up to your knees! The climb was pretty good, tho as is often the case now, the top out was poor. If you are going to climb it, I suggest going up the middle and then trend left. That way you can hook the tree up there. FWIW I would probably give it another week!

There are several other climbs up there that I did last year, but they aren't IN yet. Apparently someone else was up there, probably before the ice mess, but after the big snow storm. I'd be interested to know what they were doing or if they climbed anything.

I have noticed there there are a number of bolted rock climbs on the right side of the cliff, plus some pretty interesting cracks. I've never been in there in the summer and I would imagine it's fairly humid since the face is somewhat mossy.

The Winterlude area is located on the Kancamagus Highway on a cliff band about 600 yards east of the Albany Covered Bridge over the Swift River, on the opposite side of the road. You can park on the road right now, but not always. it depends on if the plows have winged it out. Of course you can always park in the lot by the covered bridge. It always comes in fairly fat by mid-season.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:48:57 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
The Winterlude area is located on the Kancamagus Highway on a cliff band about 600 yards east of the Saco Covered Bridge
Albany covered bridge on the Swift.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:05:59 PM by DGoguen »
Don't Climb

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
The Winterlude area is located on the Kancamagus Highway on a cliff band about 600 yards east of the Saco Covered Bridge
Albany covered bridge on the Swift.

yes, sorry... that is absolutely correct

Albany & Swift it is...

have you been there?
Al Hospers

Offline DGoguen

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »

yes, sorry... that is absolutely correct

Albany & Swift it is...

have you been there?
600 yards east of the Saco River covered bridge might put you in the Shure Fine parking lot. Ha Ha

Last time into Winterlude was maybe 20 years ago. I should revisit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don't Climb