Author Topic: Mount Washington Valley: Cathedral, Whitehorse, Humphrey's, etc.  (Read 44259 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Mount Washington Valley: Cathedral, Whitehorse, Humphrey's, etc.
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2016, 10:05:23 AM »
rained half day on Sunday, all day Monday and cloudy and damp Tuesday. looks like the rest of the week will be off & on damp. we need more rain, but I could sure use a day on the rock or trail! I had to work all weekend and I'm getting a bit stir-crazy...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »
...I drove up today Al with faint hope of a slab route being dry. It was mostly sunny from just north of Concord to just south of Conway. Then low clouds and light mist And of course everything wet. Waked around the base of the cliffs just to get some exercise.

Offline lukeweiss

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #422 on: May 24, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
This thread made me wonder: What routes (for me, 5.7 and easier) on Whitehorse and Cathedral dry up quickest?

Online Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #423 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Cathedral:
    Thin Air wall routes dry pretty fast, and Thin Air can easily be climbed (very often is) with wet spots; the same is true of Upper Refuse-- first moves off the tree ledge are slippery after a wet spell but the rest dries very quickly (and is often climbed even in light rain). Those are the 2 easiest.

Whitehorse:
      Sea of Holes dries quickly, Beginner's Route, Standard ( to Lunch ledge), Cormier- Magness, and variations of these-- If not going to the top of Whitehorse, you'll want 2 ropes to rappel off (esp. if you are not very familiar with the slabs), as the anchors are spaced out!

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #424 on: May 24, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
This thread made me wonder: What routes (for me, 5.7 and easier) on Whitehorse and Cathedral dry up quickest?

Reality is there really isn't much 5.7 and under terrain on Cathedral. Prow Cliff-top cracks dry really fast but easiest is Lookout Crack (5.8+)... or is it Little Feat? What ever one is at the tree (not the one right above Recompense. Upper Refuse can be climbed in a downpour. Call it 5.7+ soaked. Like Jeff said the rest dries pretty fast except for the bottom 20 feet.

First pitch of Thin Air, especially the "easy way" is fine in a downpour... 5.4 tops, if you are desperate to climb something and its all wet. The rest of the route isn't that bad soaked, I'ld call it 5.8 if it was drenched.

As for Whitehorse Slabs the issue is the bottom not drying fast enough due to tree cover... I slipped off the start of Beginners once (it is a bit "green" over that way). And the seepage around the Thread/Pinch in Standard Arch.... a few times I've discovered that situation with a slight bit of regret. Once on the Crystal Pocket I was able to wait 10 minutes and watch the sun evaporate the wet streak... other times I have sucked it up and climbed it wet & puckered.

Short Order dries fast, but is 5.8+/5.9-.... always seems to get a bit of a breeze to help the drying IMO

I know you asked about Cath/WH but Humps is a good option on sunny days right after rain....

Offline lukeweiss

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #425 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »
Cool. Thanks David. Your thoughts on cormier magness?

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #426 on: May 25, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
Cool. Thanks David. Your thoughts on cormier magness?

Dries fast. 1st pitch of Beginners (to get to CM) is a bit slick when wet, but the next 4 are probably fast drying... might be some streaks in and above the overlaps to deal with.