NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Training for 2012 Goals  (Read 638 times)

tks

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Training for 2012 Goals
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »

Had a pretty decent end of the season for 2011, given the work and family schedule.

So now I've started thinking about goals for 2012 and how to reach them. I finished last year reaching my onsight level into the 9+/10a range.

For this year I've broken down my goals into the short term and end of season time ranges:

Short Term:
Intimidation (Cathedral Ledge)

End of Season Time Frame:
Duet Direct
VMC DD

Any thoughts from you folks that have been around on what type of training you'd do to get ready for these goals?  Just climbing? Bouldering? Any hangboard or system training?

Open to all ideas!

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Training for 2012 Goals
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »

To be climbing rock by my birthday in July following AC Joint reconstructive surgery at the end of February.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:13:59 PM »

Well tks- you have chosen 3 of the best routes in NE so have at it.

these are all primarily crack climbs so i would do lots of one  and two pitchers in the 5.10 range. and some harder..  and for DD , learn to move quick and set good belays quickly as well.

Grammy- you just want to miss prime bug  season

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »

Grammy- you just want to miss prime bug  season

Shit John....was it THAT obvious???  ;D
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:58:50 PM »

Tks, are you looking to on-sight or flash these routes on lead or just lead them clean?  I know this may seem like a dumb and 'cheating' question but your answer can determine your approach to a certain extent.

Either way, I agree with John's advice; doing a lot of routes will increase your repertoire and make you a more diverse climber, above and beyond the goals you have set for yourself.

Of the four, I do not think bouldering or hang board will help you a lot towards achieving your stated goals but that is only a personal opinion.  YMMV.

Good luck (and train hard).

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »

Also, stay away from rumney

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »

Huh?  Rumney helped me onsight 5.12 trad routes, avoid it at your peril!

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »

Well, Ward, maybe you should tell "the whole story".
My guess is you were redpointing 5.13/13+ sport routes at Rumney on a regular basis around the time you on-sighted 5.12 trad routes.  Not to mention you had done a lot of trad before putting in massive amount of time developing and sending hard routes at Rumney.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:01:17 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 22 queries.