NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: bruised (possibly cracked) ribs?  (Read 1409 times)

DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
bruised (possibly cracked) ribs?
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »

so about two weeks ago i was down at lincoln woods bouldering, and on the first move (a sit start) i nailed my chest against the rock pretty damn hard. i actually ended up writhing in pain on my crash pad for several minutes while my older brother and his fiancee laughed hysterically. it still hurts to breathe,cough,sneeze,burp,hiccup,fart, shovel snow and roll over in my bed. i know something is definitly wrong, but that doesnt bother me.....what i'm wondering is if its a good idea for me to hit the climbing gym on saturday, or should i take it easy for a few more weeks?

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: bruised (possibly cracked) ribs?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:38 AM »

First off....someone dare you to use that name or what?
Back to the ribs: if you push on your sternum with enough force to flex your rib cage (two hands) you'll know its a rib break because you'll get sharp pain at the fracture site. If you just have a dull ache when you do that you did just bang yourself up. If it's a break and you keep stressing it you are just slowing down your healing; your call.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:56:50 PM by ELM »
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »

if you busted your sternum-- you will KNOW it. Ribs, ah well live a little

DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »

hahahaha no, no one dared me to use this name, i just find it funny as hell, i just tried the pressing on the sternum thing and got a little pain, nothing too severe....i'm going to the climbing gym today, fuck it.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »

hahahaha no, no one dared me to use this name, i just find it funny as hell, i just tried the pressing on the sternum thing and got a little pain, nothing too severe....i'm going to the climbing gym today, fuck it.

Look pneumothorax, in case: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001151/

DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »

as a trained combat livesaver (fancy term for i am medically qualified to stick needles in people) i can say that i definitly do not have pnuemothorax

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »

Duke--Champ spelled it correctly!

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:10 AM »

[/quote]
Look pneumothorax, in case: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001151/
[/quote]

I usually ignore you but you have to be kidding. Looks like you didn't read the post and understand the question again.  Just to be clear: in no way did he even come close to saying he having any symptoms of a pneumothorax....good thing I didn't run over and pop a needle in to reinflate that lung for 'ya Duke... :-\
Ed Matt

DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »

[/quote]

I usually ignore you but you have to be kidding. Looks like you didn't read the post and understand the question again.  Just to be clear: in no way did he even come close to saying he having any symptoms of a pneumothorax....good thing I didn't run over and pop a needle in to reinflate that lung for 'ya Duke... :-\
[/quote]
aw man, i was really hoping to catch a needle inbetween my 2nd and 3rd intercostal space!

DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »

Duke--Champ spelled it correctly!

i thought my version looked wrong, but i was too tired and drunk to care.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

Duke- I think the medic term would be- "my chest hurts"    ;)

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

You might want to start with taking off the nipple clips and see how things feel from there.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DukeManjunk

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »

it really is my ribs though....bottom rib,left side...right where it starts to curve up towards the sturnum.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »

i actually ended up writhing in pain on my crash pad for several minutes [....] it still hurts to breathe,cough,sneeze,burp,hiccup,fart, shovel snow and roll over in my bed. i know something is definitly wrong, but that doesnt bother me.

Common symptoms of a collapsed lung include:
        •Sharp chest pain, made worse by a deep breath or a cough
        •Shortness of breath

If you read more, it could be done by a broken ribs. When you know that some thing go wrong, you must be aware. very little air under the lung can resorbe naturally or can increase. He ask if he should go climbing at the gym.

I think that I understand what he said.

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

...Ok on your first symptom...a broken rib could; second symptom no way unless you have many ribs fx that equals a flail chest and other symptoms.
    I think I am just done with you translating issues and going to the extream. I have PM'ed a user about ignoring you when you do what you are doing now...I am doing what I told him not to do: engage.
    I am a nurse of 20 years working in all areas in a major metro..ER, ICU etc. I am also a paramedic and have rolled up on too may situations to name.
    You are applying internet medical knowledge to real-life...they do not match up: Please stop.
    I am done with you (on this) and will not go further on this topic. If you have any translating issue Champ you shouldn't answer. Some people take these answers to be fact (sorry them) and should be worded as such.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:07:26 AM by ELM »
Ed Matt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.