General > Beginners Area

To Novice Climbers from NJ and NY area

(1/4) > >>

jeprove:
Join the Appalachian Mountain Club climbing committee.  An eighty year old community of local climbers.  Check out the link.

http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/climbing/climbingtrainingclass

strandman:
Sorry Dude- they never did a thing for me--ever

Admin Al:
great group for me. met lots of lasting friends and learned a lot from the very open members.

DLottmann:
Advantages and disadvantages... my “general” advice... go with an AMC group “affordable”, see if you like it... take a 3 day private lesson with a qualified guide service “solidify your foundation skills”, now you know what you want and can split between finding partners, joining cost effective group outings, and shelling out for 1v1 instruction if you see the value there...

I have many repeat clients that are members of AMC climbing clubs... it certainly serves a good purpose... but there is also a lot of standing around when 10 people are trying to learn something from one volunteer instructor...

I looked at the link and the one thing I could not discern was if there was a cost outside of membership? If not, I can see how it works. I’ve had beginner clients go through a basic course like this and the following year they were “tasked” by the AMC to lead new climbers up multi-pitch ice routes. My smarter clients politely declined being put in that type of situation.

Don’t get me wrong, I generally think the AMC is great, but the way they manage their climbing programs has been a debated issue since the 40’s. Read “Yankee Rock & Ice” for a good overview of their history.

lucky luke:

--- Quote from: DMan on January 21, 2012, 09:08:33 PM --- take a 3 day private lesson with a qualified guide service “solidify your foundation skills”,
[...]
I have many repeat clients that are members of AMC climbing clubs...[...]

I looked at the link and the one thing I could not discern was if there was a cost outside of membership? If not, I can see how it works. I’ve had beginner clients go through a basic course like this and the following year they were “tasked” by the AMC to lead new climbers up multi-pitch ice routes. My smarter clients politely declined being put in that type of situation.

--- End quote ---

"but you must become an AMC member prior to the deadline for receipt of the course fee"

I participate with AMC group as a leader.

This post look like more an advertissing to sold courses than to really help people. as we don't find people to climb some times, we have to train a less skill person.

course fee is very clear at my knowledge.

if Dman had client and he didn't know that he was paid for it...directly for a session or indirectly by the publicity that AMC do for it... I found that suspect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version