NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: To Novice Climbers from NJ and NY area  (Read 1186 times)

jeprove

• NEClimbs Newbie
To Novice Climbers from NJ and NY area
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »

Join the Appalachian Mountain Club climbing committee.  An eighty year old community of local climbers.  Check out the link.

http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/climbing/climbingtrainingclass

strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: To Novice Climbers from NJ and NY area
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »

Sorry Dude- they never did a thing for me--ever

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »

great group for me. met lots of lasting friends and learned a lot from the very open members.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »

Advantages and disadvantages... my “general” advice... go with an AMC group “affordable”, see if you like it... take a 3 day private lesson with a qualified guide service “solidify your foundation skills”, now you know what you want and can split between finding partners, joining cost effective group outings, and shelling out for 1v1 instruction if you see the value there...

I have many repeat clients that are members of AMC climbing clubs... it certainly serves a good purpose... but there is also a lot of standing around when 10 people are trying to learn something from one volunteer instructor...

I looked at the link and the one thing I could not discern was if there was a cost outside of membership? If not, I can see how it works. I’ve had beginner clients go through a basic course like this and the following year they were “tasked” by the AMC to lead new climbers up multi-pitch ice routes. My smarter clients politely declined being put in that type of situation.

Don’t get me wrong, I generally think the AMC is great, but the way they manage their climbing programs has been a debated issue since the 40’s. Read “Yankee Rock & Ice” for a good overview of their history.

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »

take a 3 day private lesson with a qualified guide service “solidify your foundation skills”,
[...]
I have many repeat clients that are members of AMC climbing clubs...[...]

I looked at the link and the one thing I could not discern was if there was a cost outside of membership? If not, I can see how it works. I’ve had beginner clients go through a basic course like this and the following year they were “tasked” by the AMC to lead new climbers up multi-pitch ice routes. My smarter clients politely declined being put in that type of situation.

"but you must become an AMC member prior to the deadline for receipt of the course fee"

I participate with AMC group as a leader.

This post look like more an advertissing to sold courses than to really help people. as we don't find people to climb some times, we have to train a less skill person.

course fee is very clear at my knowledge.

if Dman had client and he didn't know that he was paid for it...directly for a session or indirectly by the publicity that AMC do for it... I found that suspect.

DLottmann

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »

take a 3 day private lesson with a qualified guide service “solidify your foundation skills”,
[...]
I have many repeat clients that are members of AMC climbing clubs...[...]

"but you must become an AMC member prior to the deadline for receipt of the course fee"

I participate with AMC group as a leader.

This post look like more an advertissing to sold courses than to really help people. as we don't find people to climb some times, we have to train a less skill person.

course fee is very clear at my knowledge.

if Dman had client and he didn't know that he was paid for it...directly for a session or indirectly by the publicity that AMC do for it... I found that suspect.

What are you trying to accuse me of Champ? You and I must mis-read each other so much I think it might be best if we just ignore each other’s posts hence-forth.

My advice is sound, and I have plenty of past clients who are long standing AMC members to vouch for it. In the absence of a very good “mentor”, professional guided lessons are one of the fastest ways for a complete neophyte to become a self-reliant climber.

If my post was an “advertisement” it would include links to both my blog and the guide service I work for. I am not an “AMC trip leader” as I think you were trying to insinuate. It was more a general “advice” given the fact that I am a climber of 17 years experience and I feel my advice is worth something. I’ve seen many climbers struggle with learning the ropes and for some guiding is the answer, for other’s large group outings like the AMC is the issue, or Ice Fest, or they are lucky and find a mentor as smart as you and willing to sacrifice sending hard days for teaching figure-8 knots.

I call a truce between you and me right now, and suggest we just ignore each other moving forward.

Meeting you in person re-inforced what my friends have said of your positive demeanor, and I know you have good intentions, but our online personalities clash something fierce.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:00:50 PM by DMan »

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »

PS I'm not 'into' them as well. I don't feel they have anything to offer me per se!
Michael Urban, RN

steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »

Come on John, you mean to tell me that an AMC member never bought you a beer at Darcys? :'( :'( :'(

JJ Jameson

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »

Ha! Too true Steve!!

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »

Actually damn few Steve, esp considering "time served"

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »

Let's see.
A "not for profit" organization who's director commands a $250,000/yr salary.
Operates a 4 star hotel at the top of Crawford Notch- that competes directly with other "for profit" org's (like the Mt.Washington Hotel, a mere 2 miles up the road).
Last time I actually went into the AMC "Headquarters" in Pinkham Notch was probably 10 years ago- and at that time you could quite literally show up in shorts and flipflops in mid January, and equip yourself for a weekend up at Tuck's. The AMC "not for profit" that competes directly against my friend Rick Wilcox.
There member list, which includes many "pro bono" lawyers, are always willing to take up the Clubs cause.
It's basically a group of people from Joy St. in Boston who have decided to make the National Forest in my backyard, their own personal playground.
Ban the AMC is more like it.  

kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »

Besides the FACT that the AMC is chock full of wannabees. Personally, I find no attraction to that kinda shit. Again, just me.

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »

I agree - they are a pure BS organization!
Michael Urban, RN

Maxsuffering

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »

I worked for the AMC for way to long to ever say anything good about them.

Oh yeah, and I second everything kenreville said.

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 09:36:44 PM »

Besides the FACT that the AMC is chock full of wannabees. Personally, I find no attraction to that kinda shit. Again, just me.

Fuck ken- youre worse than me... congrats
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 23 queries.