NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Climb Grand Teton Via Owen Spalding?  (Read 2469 times)

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Anyone Climb Grand Teton Via Owen Spalding?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »

Lots of really good advice so far. I would add, on training climbs, try to get used to climbing with less gear. If you can really pare down the rack and feel comfortable without a lot of pro, you will climb faster and have less weight to carry in.  Also get the thinnest/lightest rope possible.

SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Re: Anyone Climb Grand Teton Via Owen Spalding?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »

I climbed the O.S. with my son about 14 years ago, when I was 52. We took a rope and harness but never pulled the rope out.

I was in great cardio shape, back then and we were on the summit by 9.30 A.M, after leaving the parking lot at around 5 A.M.

Last summer, after coming out of the Wind Rivers, I spent a few days at the climbers ranch. On my last day there, I decided to to hike up as fast as possible. I got a very late start, (Noon), for a variety of reasons, but still managed to make it up to the lower Saddle in 3 hours.

All the advice about cardio training is spot on. Last summer, I was training , by hiking Mt. Washington or Chocurua every week, as fast as possible. It payed off big time on my trip to the Wind Rivers, trying to keep up with 68 year old Jim Donini.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 23 queries.