NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: level of risk?  (Read 2738 times)

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
Re: level of risk?
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

How can you estimate if you're going to break your leg or not lol?

When I took that fall on White Horse it definitely effected my climbing. In a way it was a great experience, the whole system worked and I only bumped my knee but it shattered the facade, my hubris and newbie sense of confidence. Now as soon as I feel in over my head, my leg starts shaking and my climbing goes out the window.

I feel some good negative karma point here :)

It is my question mostly. I was with my climbing boot, I was going down a stairs, the soil at the bottom was frozen ice. As soon as I put the feet on the ice. Zoup!!! I was falling on my new operate carpal tunnel hands without hiting my head on the last stair.

Now I am scare and I don't want to go down a stair because they must have ice.

if there is no ice, I was not afraid and I can go down the stair. The first time I fall and after...I was more subtil. I stop at the end of the stair and place my feet in a way that the weight of my body was directly on my feet. so, I can not fall to the right, nor to the left or backward. As I no the level of risk, I still can down climb the stairs, but i have more experience.

the question is how to get that experiences before a serious accident? i often say, and I still think like that, that bailing hurt more than a broken leg in certain conditions. A leg will take one or two month to health, but you will remember all your life that you mist your goal because you didn't have the ball. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:32:00 PM by champoing »

DWT

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »

Quote from: champoing link=topic=6760.msg48962#msg48962 date=1333647021
[/quote

I feel some good negative karma point here :)
We should get you a tee shirt.  "I got 50 smites on NEClimbs and all I got was this crappy tee shirt"  Extra Small to match your Canadian swimwear.

Zoup!! 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:45:53 PM by DWT »

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2012, 10:42:37 PM »

The great line o fall time   --If keith richards is  alive,I'll have another drink

lucky luke

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2012, 05:35:16 AM »

The great line o fall time   --If keith richards is  alive,I'll have another drink

sorry for your friends.
It is the two extreme: doing nothing or going to our death. It is all about climbing: the real chalenge. I am always scare to died and I never want to stay home. where is the line? for some people, the bottom line will be no risk at all. for some other it will suicide. But for a lot of people, some thing in a middle wil be good. this is climbing. I think that to know the level of risk, we must have a knowledge of all aspect of climbing and train to know if we have the knowledge. If I want todo vertigo, I know that there is a finger crack in the third pitch and an off with. If I train in a gym to do crimp....not sure if it is not dagnerous to try it.

Bad experience is good because it is where you learn and also to prepare the climb. I like if the guide going outside teach how to look at a cliff and calculate where you are going to place the belay and try to find those places as they climb. Bad experiences at little doses. As you follow and experience climber, yo can be better than him, but he can bring you on problem that will save your life after.

Or you can folllow a set of bolt.

DGoguen

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 07:44:07 AM »

Keith's recent autobiography is a pretty good read. Also, podcast Terry Gross fresh air interview. Interesting guy.
Sorry, off topic, I lost focus. Whats the difference between Sport and Trad again?

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »

Keith is trad, Mick is sport

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

Keith is trad, Mick is sport
+1.  Good one, Eric.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »

I don't think Keith practices the body X position!  :)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »

I enjoyed the Keith autobiography + 1
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 23 queries.