NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank You!  (Read 2767 times)

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Thank You!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »

How's the shoulder Grammy?

Still imobilized in a sling. I go in Thursday and am hoping for the green light to begin PT...but I think I am still 2-3 weeks shy of that. IT is driving me nuts...sleeping is the greatest challenge...I get about 4-5 hrs max...sucks, but I guess every passing day is a day closer to tying in...I am getting very impatient..lol
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »

Imagine-- the sun's out, snow and ice are off the rocks and Grammy's impatient!! :-\  Wishing you the best and a total cure, my friend! I'm willing to sit next to you if you're off the heavy drugs so you can cry in your beer. I'll even buy the first one 8)  Woah, did I actually type that?  :-[

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »

How's the shoulder Grammy?

Still imobilized in a sling. I go in Thursday and am hoping for the green light to begin PT...but I think I am still 2-3 weeks shy of that. IT is driving me nuts...sleeping is the greatest challenge...I get about 4-5 hrs max...sucks, but I guess every passing day is a day closer to tying in...I am getting very impatient..lol

I MAY  be out in early June-- we can do a f/a a s cripples ??? :-X

That might shake some folks up

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »

I MAY  be out in early June-- we can do a f/a a s cripples ??? :-X

That might shake some folks up

Sweet! Yah buddy...Gimps on belay!
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »

For those of you interested...Almost 7 weeks out from surgery and have been in PT for two weeks. I can raise my hand/arm above my head, can brush my teeth, raise a coffee cup and hold a cell phone to my ear with the affected shoulder. Doesn't sound like much but I see progress and it is getting stronger every day. Hope to be out there at the end of April...climbing by May without question unless I experience some kind of unforseen setback. Sore as hell, but we are getting there.

David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »

Chris
Glad to see that the progress of healing is moving along at a great pace. Looking forward to seeing you with Smear out at Humphries working some of your projects. Just don't go so fast as to damage the repairs, easy to do especially with someone who flirts the 5.12 range.
David G

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

Chris
Glad to see that the progress of healing is moving along at a great pace. Looking forward to seeing you with Smear out at Humphries working some of your projects. Just don't go so fast as to damage the repairs, easy to do especially with someone who flirts the 5.12 range.
David G

Thanks David! My Dr and PT Have both told me the same thing. I am weeks ahead of Protocol..I think just because I can suck it up and move past the discomfort where most people might back off. It is a mixed blessing and my tendency is to push too hard at times and not listen to my body. I think May is a realistic goal as does my Dr. I think slabs wouldn't affect me too much so I think that is where I will start. Getting the footwork back and slowly start to get steeper as the strength increases. It won't be a ground breaking year for me, but that is fine...I just want to get out and move on stone...

Looking forward to seeing you out there my friend!   

~g

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »

+++++
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »

I'm sure you have friends lined up, but if you want to get out and do something VERY easy I'm up for that...

+++++

:)
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »

I'm sure you have friends lined up, but if you want to get out and do something VERY easy I'm up for that...

That would be great Al! perfect...

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

I'm curious if you know exactly what type of rotator cuff tear you had?  Choice of 4 different tendons (supraspinatus, infrasinpiatus, bicep and subscap) and typically 4 categories of severity (small - massive or 1 to 4).

I am ~8 weeks post op and can do approximately the same things as you from the sounds of it.  There is no way in hell my doc or the PR people are going to accelerate the protocol.  the schedule absolutely positively forbids climbing (or tennis etc.) for 6 months (mid August in my case).  I had the worst case scenario - massive tear of the subscap (not the common one.  Partial tears of the supra are what most people have when they say "rotator cuff tear") which was detached from the bone and retracted into the muscles.  Also a partial tear of the bicep.  Both those tendons were re-anchored in the surgery. 4 month delay between incident and surgery (giving time for the tendon and muscles to atrophy).  plus I am an old geezer (time is NOT on your side when it comes to growing new parts).   I might try accelerating the return to easy climbing once the PT exercises get more interesting in a month or so - but in reality this is a career altering if not ending situation for my climbing.  I'm sure I will climb again at some level but the odds are that it won't be at the prior level.  You can say all you want about toughing it out and positive mental attitudes but statistics really don't lie.

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:36 PM »

Not sure about the rotator cuff injury and the severity or what the name of it was...it was a surprise to me when I was in the recovery room as it was not part of the planned surgery. I had a full AC Joint reconstruction (three new ligaments...thank you dead person), and a 60% tear of the labrum. When they opened my shoulder up, they discovered my rotator cuff was also severely torn. I was 5-6 weeks in a sling (atrophy central), and now going on my third week of PT next Monday. Things feel tight, but there is no question I will be back.

Sounds like your rotator injury was more severe than mine. I climbed for 6 months with the shoulder all torn up with skin and muscle holding it together, so the way I look at it, it isn't going to be any worse after the repair   ;)

I am happy with the progress so far. Where are you doing PT Eric?

~g

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 05:00:49 PM »

I am 100% sure Eric will be back, perhaps not to the level a year ago but not too much below that I think.
Eric, remember it took you ~2 years to recover from your ankle/tibia break and how much ground you had to make up post surgery.  Nothing will be easy; you will have to adjust to the limited range of motion you have to contend with (like you have done so expertly post ankle injury).   Keep the faith, my friend.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:02:24 PM by sneoh »

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »

+ 1 sneoh!!! 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 23 queries.