Author Topic: Thank You!  (Read 3596 times)

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
Re: Thank You!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks guys.  Waiting is the hardest part.  Gets me even crankier then normal.  One thing that makes me cranky - relating to the PT question - is the insurance hassles involved.  I had a major fight getting to go to the surgeon I wanted (one reason for the 4 month delay) and have not been able to get insurance ok to go to a PT place I would really like.  Up to this point I don't think it has made that much of a difference - what is being done - passive ROM stuff - anyone could do (well almost anyone) but when it comes time to get more aggressive and starting to push the strengthening - it would be nicer to be at a place that serviced athletes in general (if not climbers in particular) and got the athletic mindset.

One thing that I have fought for and won was getting the actual surgeon's write-up/report of what was found and done.  I think they are pretty much required to give it to you if you demand it (although the paranoid would think there is a good chance it could be sanitized before you got it).  that should answer exactly what was found and done to your rotator cuff as well as any "interesting" things that happened while they were in there.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »
Thanks guys.  Waiting is the hardest part.  Gets me even crankier then normal.  One thing that makes me cranky - relating to the PT question - is the insurance hassles involved.

I hear that. What was the cause of your injury? Sounds pretty bad so there must have been an event that caused it? Was it done on the job or out at play?

I hope you are able to return to close to the same form you were at prior to the surgery. I think we will have to catch up for a beer after a climb and toast to technology...and old farts that won't quit! 
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
Hey Old School,
During rehab if you need someone to climb with you at an easy level I am available. I do not work and will be available while I rehab one of my climbing regular partners.
David

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »
Deal David!!  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
Shit grammy, between you Eric and Rubin it's gonna be the walking wounded tour of Whitehorse slabs. :-\ Maybe i should add to the mess ?

Eric- what did Joe landry have done years ago ? All I remember was shoulder.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
Shit grammy, between you Eric and Rubin it's gonna be the walking wounded tour of Whitehorse slabs. :-\ Maybe i should add to the mess ?

Lmao...sticky shoes, white hair and depends! The stuff that heroes are made of!!  :)

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
Eric might have more details but Joe have/had terrible shoulder problems.  Not sure what the root causes were but he would "dislocate" his shoulder once in a while while climbing.  It happened once when we were climbing together.  He had me help him 'pop' it back in.  Freaky!  I thought I was going to do permanent damage doing what he asked me to.
I saw Joe about a month ago under rather sad circumstances - death of someone we knew - he hasn't climbed in a very long time.  Looked fit as ever and I bet he really is fit!!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
Yeah I talked to Joe about it at that event.  He was encouraging - saying I'd find ways to "compensate".  At this point I don't think even he remembers exactly what he had done.  The technology has improved a lot though.  In my case they got to use brand new "anchors" that just became available a few months ago - don't know what they do - dissolve better?

Yeah I did it at play - climbing.  The shoulder has been dodgy for a long time - I haven't been able to throw hard (some would say I never could) for 5 years.  But in this case I was doing a sort of mantle move pushing down with my right arm while fully stretching up with my left.  Foot smear popped and I went down on the right arm fighting it all the way.  So the right arm went through a slow motion 180 degrees trying to hold on - fail.  30 minutes later I am in the car trying to figure out how to turn the key...

Offline sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
Yeah I talked to Joe about it at that event.  He was encouraging - saying I'd find ways to "compensate".
Definitely true.  I have found less-than-ideal ways to compensate for my left wrist injury and limited ROM, just as you have for your repaired ankle.  We all do what we can to stay in the game. 

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
I know the event your talking about.. very  sad.

I have compensated for years about my sad OW "skills"  just not very well.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:03 PM »
Take heart, Eric. You can always start building your bingo skills while you are healing.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson