NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best relatively unvisited crags.  (Read 1284 times)

radair

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Best relatively unvisited crags.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »

I have never been able to figure out what is up there either, Soon.
Olga and I hiked around to the right and back some and went up a fixed line up a gully to a crumbly ledge with some bolted routes above. I am not sure exactly what they were....
It sounds like you were at the Alchohol Wall, Mark. It is back & right of the main cliff and on the left end of the "Far Cliff" as named by Ed Webster. The Boulder Loop trail has an overlook spur that ends on top of the highest part of the Far Cliff.

Sundown is sort of a T shape, with the main cliff the bottom or stem of the T; the Far Cliff the right side of the T, and the Outback the left side. All have some high quality routes but there are areas of scruffy crags mixed in.

Crag Y should be near the top of the list of neglected high quality crags. Superb rock that sees few visitors.

DWT

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »

Hey, speaking of backcountry crags.  When you're standing on Lincoln/Lafayette, and you look at the base of (I think) Garfield, on the Pemi side there is a cliff that looks as though it could have potential.

Anyone know what it is?  Anyone here ever been out to it?

Joe.

It's the Garfield Crag.  See Bradley White

tradchick

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • Conformity breeds mediocrity
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »

Marshfield and Wheeler in Vermont.  Oscar is good though becoming busier.  Middle Sugarloaf has some good climbs on nice rock and there was some new routing going on last summer.

terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »

'wheeler is my second favorite crag in the east only after poko (most people get pissed at that statement myself being born and raised in the shire), Mr. Powers is absolutely correct, most folks climb the great dihedral or VJ's and thats it, If you look a little deeper you can find tons of shit, the first time I went there I climbed the G.D. in the morning and in the afternoon we went left past a small talus field and climbed a beautiful dihedral to a roof crack that petered out into thin slab, the route ended on a tree ledge but we decided to walk around on that tree ledge until we found something to move upward on......to make a long story short we topped out after dark and had a blast coming down and finally getting to the car at 11pm.  On subsequent trips I found even more gems, including a route I believe to be called "hot seat in hell" one of the most geometrically beautiful finger seams I have ever seen or climbed on.....imagine "ethereal crack" on very strong LSD........
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 23 queries.