Author Topic: Google Street View of El Capitan  (Read 293 times)

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: Google Street View of El Capitan
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »
Don't let LL see..it will ruin the on sight :angel:

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »
It seems like I enjoy watching these type of video's more as I approach the "rocking chair" age.  I really enjoyed this one. No wonder why more and more climbers want to do the Nose route. It was a real adventure when I did it with George Myers, back in 1971.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
Still, seeing Lynn climbing the Nose makes it seem like another climb...

Offline Nemesis

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
"Real adventure"?  ::)

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
Nemesis,

In 1971, the Nose route was done only by a few teams. Today, it gets done hundreds of times in a season. It was George's first big wall, and my second, and yes, it was an "adventure" to us. We got hit by a snowstorm as well.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »
"Real adventure"?  ::)

Interesting..my wife asked "thew future of climbing ? "  That's real beta

Offline Nemesis

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
SA

I guess I misread your post.  I thought you were suggesting that the parties that attempt the nose these days weren't going to have a real adventure.  I have tons of respect for the guys, like you, who were breaking ground BITD, but I don't agree with the sentiment that because a route has been climbed a hundred times before its somehow disqualified from being a great adventure. I feel like as long as you're out breaking down you're own barriers or doing something "new to you" it's an adventure.  Climbing down off the soapbox now :)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
very cool video
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
A nit pickin'..Google must have paid Caldwell a few $$ to not say that Skinner/Piana FFA of Salathe several years before the Nose was really the "start of free climbing big walls",,One could  even say that Leonard Coyne WAY back doing Half Dome free was the start.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
A nit pickin'..Google must have paid Caldwell a few $$ to not say that Skinner/Piana FFA of Salathe several years before the Nose was really the "start of free climbing big walls",,One could  even say that Leonard Coyne WAY back doing Half Dome free was the start.

+++ indeed--- do I remember correctly Ericson climbing NW of Half Dome free BITD? Then some of us also consider the East Face of Longs as a "big wall" and hard routes were freed there long ago, at 12000 feet. I don't mean to in any way disparage what these "giants" have done in Yos  (especially " Little Lynnie") I 'm in awe of them all!! It's just that in the media's attempt to impress the general public, they tend to neglect or ignore the historical perspective.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
Erickson did all the pitches free around 1976, but  never linked them.leonard did that in '79 (same month as El Cap west face being done free)
I respect lynn as much as any one and am astounded by her climbs....it's also interesting that  Skinner is still "unmentionable ' in yosemite

Offline SA

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 07:36:30 AM »
John,

Donini tells me that Jim Erickson has turned into quite a climbing gym rat. I always liked that guy, as he always had a really great upbeat attitude. I remember doing MF with him, in the Gunks, and a few other climbs. He was there with his brother, who also climbed.

I have a great photo of him, Goldstone, Stannard, and a few others, hanging out at the Uberfall.

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
Damn, that's strong group !

I was remembering a climb I did in the Valley years ago..dwindling energy ? or  something like that. A Donini line from '75 i think, bordering on 5.12..I'd give it that..before cams or good shoes,  etc..I think only 2  5.12 's in the Valley at that time

Of course Erickson only had to do Naked Edge and then retire IMO... 8)

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
The story of Ericson buildering all over the UC campus in preparation for the Naked Edge is a classic.  The guy was obsessed.  I think he also tried to build/find some replicas of the crux bits, like Henry with his "Foops Machine" in his basement.