Author Topic: dustbins  (Read 279 times)

Offline Whitey

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
dustbins
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »
What's up with the old rule about chalkball only in climbing gyms? I see chalk spilled commonly that is not from a chalkball in some places in southern N.E. I've been climbing indoors for 15-20 years now and try to ignore how much long term lung damage could occur. There are some white powders( I've only heard about of course) that are able to cause lung damage. I'll deal with any and all replies on this with good humor as I know how internet spray goes these days. It hits home when the sun beams through and you see all the dust particles in the air.

Offline Nemesis

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: dustbins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
I just pulled MSDS for Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonate.  It recommends wearing a respirator in the presence of airborne dust.  YMMV

I've always wanted to sound like Darth Vader anyhow
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:54:18 PM by Nemesis »

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »
I just pulled MSDS for Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonate.  It recommends wearing a respirator in the presence of airborne dust.  YMMV

I've always wanted to sound like Darth Vader anyhow

Which is about the lowest level of concern there is--if you look at SDSs (MSDS now being obsolete) every substance on the planet will kill you. Gyms, and especially gym belayers, being several of orders of magnitude more dangerous.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:27:14 AM »

I try to climb outside as much as possible, even in winter, though that doesn't work for Mrs. Eyebolter.

Now that we bring our four year old with us to the gym, I do think about the dust given her tender lungs, so we always get there when it opens and leave before the hordes and dust clouds arrive.  As an added bonus, we are pretty much the only ones in the lead cave from 10 to 1 on weekends.

Online strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »
A decent HVAC system might help as well...most gyms are basically a box with climbers in there.

A friend in Denver ,who is a respritory therapist says she could just work at the Earth Treks and that's a very recent place.  Of course she climbs there  ::)

Offline Nick Grant

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »
Is chalk really necessary in a climbing gym?  I mean, is it really that important to send your "big project" that will disappear in a month anyway?  I'm so old and desiccated that I seldom have to use chalk anyway (85 degrees in August, I use it), but I just don't think it is essential in a climbing gym.  As a compromise, I like the "chalk balls only" idea, but at my gym (CRG Watertown) it's chalk, chalk, and more chalk.

Offline Whitey

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »
I also keep chalk usage to minimum levels in the gym, just needing a little to get started. There is already plenty on the holds.

Online strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
Yes, chalk is always needed....all the time.

Gives a good grip on the beer bottle

Offline steve weitzler

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
Chalk.......I don't need no freaking chalk!!! ;)