Author Topic: "How do you get to Diana's Baths?"  (Read 188 times)

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs Full Member
"How do you get to Diana's Baths?"
« on: August 31, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
Has anyone else who has spent a lot of time at Cathedral this summer noticed almost half the vehicle traffic on the Cathedral road is actually trying to find Diana's Baths? Maybe not half, but I have stopped waiting for tourists to ask. As soon as they roll down their window I say "Looking for Diana's Baths?"

The issue seems to be vehicle GPS's recognizing that the Cathedral Ledge auto road actually gets very close to the baths (but not to the trail head).

I'm guessing Echo Lake State Park might benefit from the increased accidental traffic, but it is pretty comical to see how many cars in one day are lost searching for this crowded "nature walk".

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
Re: "How do you get to Diana's Baths?"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »
I would tell them Diana died years ago and then walk away

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
You're not telling them to park at the top of Cathedral and take a short bush whack? They'll be right there in no time ;)

Offline kenreville

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:16 PM »
Reality is if they parked at the first turn before going up the hill, the walk is no further than coming off the West Side Road.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
Reality is if they parked at the first turn before going up the hill, the walk is no further than coming off the West Side Road.

2nd hard left, it's only 200 yards from there. Surprisingly close. Google earth gives a nice vantage of how close to the road it is, and it is only a 4 minute bushwhack if you know where it is.

It's .6 miles (or 1054 yards) from the trail head on West Side Rd, so the shwack is 5 times shorter distance wise.

That being said, the type of folks that can't find the trail head on West Side Rd don't need to be attempting a 200 yard bushwhack. Plus it's much easier on the wheeled cooler and flipflops to stick to crushed gravel.

Offline Ducayet

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »
Hah I'm glad someone brought this up b/c I get asked at least once every time I go to Cathedral. My partner and I were joking that we should make t-shirts that shows a map and the driving directions from Cathredal to the Bath that I can wear we we go cragging.

Offline z.st.jules

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:06:59 PM »
Im not sure its even a bushwack anymore. I was up there a couple months ago and took well traveled trails from the 2nd turn on the road.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 10:28:09 PM »
True, if u find the travelled path it's obvious. Still not a "marked" trail