NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunks TR and guide book  (Read 1083 times)

jdix

• NEClimbs Newbie
Gunks TR and guide book
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:25:03 PM »

I'm planning on heading to the Gunks in a few weeks and was wondering if there are any decent TR areas?  We're climbing anything up to 5.10 but are lacking a rack.  Also, I'm looking for a solid guide book.  Is there one that's highly recommended? 

Thanks!!

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Gunks TR and guide book
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »

Go with the bible, Dick Williams' latest guide, if you are going to be there a lot! As for TRs, there are many possible near the Uberfall at the Trapps; further out you'll have to have someone lead to set them up; please be considerate of folks who want to lead, and don't tie routes up for the whole day--there are a huge number of climbs available at all levels.

jdix

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »

Great!!  I'll order it tonight.  Thanx!!

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:05:24 AM »

Peterskill (about 5 minutes up the road) is great for TR too. You will need static rope or extra long webbing as the trees are back quite a distance from the edge of the cliff (pitch pines are off limits and cannot be used for anchors). There are tons of great climbs out there and I never found there to be crowds to deal with. Just another option.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/peterskill/105896719

grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »

There is also a recent guide book to Peterskill easily available at Rock & Snow in New Paltz--I agree with Grammy about it's usefulness for top roping and the necessity of lengthy static line to set your anchors, although many can be set closer to edges if you have trad gear and know how to use it. A separate registration must be made at the entrance to Peterskill (once each season) and they limit the # of climbers out there per day, so an early arrival is recommended (by 9 am or so on good weather weekends.

jdix

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Our plan is to go to Peterskill Friday and Saturday.  Depending on how much we climb there we'll head over to the Gunks on Sunday and see what we can climb.  That guide book seems to be only available at Rock and Snow.  I've tried looking for it everywhere and no one carries.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:38:46 AM by jdix »

NY Climber

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • Face Book
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »

I persoanlly like the 2 books:
The Gunks (Shawangunks Climbing Guide; New Paltz) [Paperback]
Zach Orenczak (Author), Rachael Lynn (Author)

and..

Gunks Guide (Regional Rock Climbing Series) [Paperback]
Todd Swain (Author)

Between these 2 books I have been opretty covered for all the route there. I don't think the Near Trapps has too much TR-ing because after a short left side to the Trapps the height starts to increase higher than 80 ft. I might be wrong on this - but that's been my experience thus far...
Michael Urban, RN
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.