NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No toilets at Rumney  (Read 1698 times)

toma

• NEClimbs Newbie
No toilets at Rumney
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »

As of this Sunday there were zero available toilets in the Rumney main parking lot.  One of the two was boarded up with plywood due to (apparently) someone doing donuts during the winter and crashing their car into the toilets.  The other one was seemingly locked from the inside (???).  This is definitely not a good thing if we want to minimize the crap out near the cliffs.  Has anybody contacted the NFS or taken other measures to get things back in order?

Thanks,
Tom

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
Re: No toilets at Rumney
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »

If you have been following the on-going nation wide hoopla over the Forest Service parking fees - then the last of available toilets would give you a good reason not to pay for a parking pass.

Mike G

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »

Geeeze Tom, This sounds like a bitch, why don't you call the forest service.

toma

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »

Geeeze Tom, This sounds like a bitch, why don't you call the forest service.

Well, because I believe some people on this list have a prior working relationship with the right local people in the NFS.  Just calling some random NFS phone number and complaining is not likely to produce the desired result and keep our climbing area shit-free.  But if there is no (productive) response here then I will call.

Tom

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »

From Rose, of the RCA - (to paraphrase) Justin Preisendorfer of the USFS indicated they are working on getting a portopotty in the small lot by the first week in April and the main parking lot bathroom should be repaired in the next week or so. The person who damaged it has come forward to rectify the situation.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »

5 gallon bucket with a snap top lid lol;)

Old painters/carpenters trick.....

bennybrew

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:17 AM »

they even sell toilet seat lids for those buckets.

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »

they even sell toilet seat lids for those buckets.

Ehy that's a bit much. After a while you find a comfy spot, no seat or lid needed.

Ow yeah and skip the snap on lid and just keep a box of heavy duty trash bags in the car for liners lol.

For real though we used to have to do this.

I will never forget being like 19-21 and working for this awesome old guy painting houses. He was a total reformed hippy turned family man. The permanent  effects of the LSD speed and ludes were lasting and clear to everyone he met. He was a medium build guy with a belly and a long scruffy grey beard and pony tail and always a cigarette hanging outa his mouth "like always". His motto was " i am never gonna get rich painting houses so why kill myself trying". He was a pessimist and a curmudgeon but the nicest most friendly happy to chat with anyone anytime guy you could ever meet.

I on the other hand was/am the crazed get as much as you can done in a day type work 70 hrs a week and shoot yourself in the head  of stress  always in a rush type "at least i was at the time". At this point i have not worked in 2-3 years but it is starting to feel like a decade. I can no longer imagine putting that much emphasis on working and money ever again. Anyway back to what the point.

So one day i am working on one side of the house and he is on the other. He comes around the corner and says i am gonna go it the garage and take a shit as this "bitch" does not want anyone in her house "keep a eye peeled! About 3-5 minutes later a car pulls in the driveway and i hear the sound of the garage door open. About 5 minutes later Gordon my "boss" comes around the corner again and procedes to tell me he was sitting on a five gallon bucket with a drop cloth pulled over his head " why i don't know, Like i said lots of Ludes and LSD as a young man" when the home the door opens and the home owner puller her car in. He thought he was well out of the way and in disguise all tucked in the corner but being a small garage he was dead wrong and was right were the nose of her car came to a stop. I guess the story goes it was either get crushed or jump out from underneath the drop cloth  pants down. I guess hi sreaction was to jump outa the way.

Sad to say the old bastard died of a heart attack a few years ago  now. He was sitting in his van smoking cigarettes in front of Dunk And Doughts as he did every day  after work  "avoiding going home" My guess is for him that was like if i die on the mountain?

Anyway to this day in a pickle i still run for a 5 gallon bucket. Everyone really should always have one in the trunk of the car just in a emergency lol....

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »

apbt1976 - great story...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DWT

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »

You guys get to finish that job?

I have one too... not as good as yours though.

A couple of years ago my company got hired to waterproof a chimney in a REAL nice neighborhood.   I figure waterproofing isn't rocket science, so I'll let the guys handle this one while I chat up the client.  Twenty or so minutes goes by and I'm on the cusp of selling a nice hardscape and outdoor kitchen.  SMASH!!  Broken glass explodes into the kitchen over everything within ten feet of the end of my ladder.  Yup,one of my guys disregarded instructions and tried to lower a forty foot extension ladder himself(those babies are beefy).  I helped the client clean up the glass and called PG to replace the window.  Definitely never heard back on the outdoor kitchen!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:40:14 PM by DWT »

DGoguen

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

O.K. I can't resist my drywall bucket story.

While working construction in high school with a freind. On a job daily with this Canadian drywall guy constantly barking insults at us while he lines up screws in his lips as he works. We usually hung out after work and had a couple beers. My freind peed in a bucket in a corner. I said "Isn't that Norman's screw bucket" He said
"Yup". The next day Norman continued to ride us but  that goofy grin with lips full of drywall screws and insults didn't seem as cutting.

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »

You guys get to finish that job?

I have one too... not as good as yours though.

A couple of years ago my company got hired to waterproof a chimney in a REAL nice neighborhood.   I figure waterproofing isn't rocket science, so I'll let the guys handle this one while I chat up the client.  Twenty or so minutes goes by and I'm on the cusp of selling a nice hardscape and outdoor kitchen.  SMASH!!  Broken glass explodes into the kitchen over everything within ten feet of the end of my ladder.  Yup,one of my guys disregarded instructions and tried to lower a forty foot extension ladder himself(those babies are beefy).  I helped the client clean up the glass and called PG to replace the window.  Definitely never heard back on the outdoor kitchen!

Are your kidding me "move a 40 foot ladder by himself. Did you fire the guy?

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

Ok one more...

Same old bearded hippy guy.

I was not around for this one but i still lough just thinking of this guy doing telling the story and doing this. Many of the homes i used to work in where like the 15-20 thousand square feet and like 20 million bucks easy. So i guess this one house is more like a old blue blood client. Antiques all over the place and very old. The lady has this little zip zip dog that my boss had complained about running around all over and foreseeing a problem at some point. I guess the old lady would just brush it off like the dog does not bother anyone.

So one day the customer goes out and they are painting away in big old living room with a huge antique oriental rug. Everything is all covered nice and as it goes one of the guys kicked over a halogen light or something and in the scramble to pick it up before it starts a fire a drop cloth gets pulled and a roller tray full of paint spills all over all over this 25k rug.

Again just as this all happens they both hear the garage door open and see the woman pulling down the driveway in her car. I guess right at the same moment the little yip yip dog runs in the room. The bearded guy said he just reacted never thinking and grabbed the little dog and threw him directly in the paint tray and spilt paint. The dog ran off leaving footprints leading right from the spilt paint all over the house. The woman came in and the dog took the fall for the 25K rug and everyone went home happy with a good laugh and deep breath!

gnar

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »

new to the forum and to sport climbing. could anyone let me know the conditions up at rumney?  and maybe a few "must do"  easy/moderate climbs?  thanks

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

new to the forum and to sport climbing. could anyone let me know the conditions up at rumney?  and maybe a few "must do"  easy/moderate climbs?  thanks

Define "easy/moderate" and I could give you some ideas. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/rumney/105867829 Has a lot of route information and you can do a search for what you are looking for by clicking "Best routes for YOU in this area" over on the left side of the page.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.