NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumney Parking!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2551 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Rumney Parking!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

I just got a message about the parking at Rumney:

"...this past weekend (4/14-15) overflow parked (i.e. illegal on street) cars were being ticked and towed at Rumney. Seems the "they" want to start training us early..."

A word to the wise!
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: Rumney Parking!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

Carpool! ..even if it is just from the library in town. Yes, that means you all.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »

Suck it up and go out to the woods    ;)

Was it Yoggie Berra ?  no one goes there anymore. it'' to crowded

crazyt

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • whatever
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

Why would you want to climb there when it's that crowded? If I saw that the parking lots were that full, fear of getting a ticket wouldn't be the motovating factor for moving on. Rumney has played a positive role in reducing over crowding at your favorite cliffs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:01:17 AM by crazyt »
work hard, play harder

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »

I think climbers should be able to buy a day pass at the library/monorail station...take the monorail in and back at the end of the day. They could issue several passes that would allow climbers to access certain crags, thus keeping numbers reasonable. The state could hire ticket takers to monitor climbers and to make sure that they have paid and are not trying to sneak into a crag that they had not purchased. I figure there are close to 12 crags there...we provide 24 new jobs (two shifts of attendants), three to four monorail pilots, the library doubles as the monorail terminal and we could provide shuttles from the field (now paved parking lot) just before you cross the bridge on the main road. So we solve the parking problem, plus overcrowding at the crags, and we boost the local economy.  ;)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »

time to go to Dickey Mountain, Sundown, Lost or Found Ledge, Woodchuck, Green's, Crag-Y or any of the countless cool outback crags where you will likely not see another soul.
Al Hospers

DWT

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 04:23:53 PM »

I think climbers should be able to buy a day pass at the library/monorail station...take the monorail in and back at the end of the day. They could issue several passes that would allow climbers to access certain crags, thus keeping numbers reasonable. The state could hire ticket takers to monitor climbers and to make sure that they have paid and are not trying to sneak into a crag that they had not purchased. I figure there are close to 12 crags there...we provide 24 new jobs (two shifts of attendants), three to four monorail pilots, the library doubles as the monorail terminal and we could provide shuttles from the field (now paved parking lot) just before you cross the bridge on the main road. So we solve the parking problem, plus overcrowding at the crags, and we boost the local economy.  ;)
  No Thanks.  If I have two crowded trips to a crag, I prolly don't go back on the weekend.  I gotta believe others would do the same.  Thus sorting out the overcrowding in the end without giving "big bro" another foothold.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:29:42 PM by DWT »

Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

time to go to Dickey Mountain, Sundown, Lost or Found Ledge, Woodchuck, Green's, Crag-Y or any of the countless cool outback crags where you will likely not see another soul.

Al, Those places don't even exist! What are you talking about? ;D

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:16:07 PM »

No Thanks.  If I have two crowded trips to a crag, I prolly don't go back on the weekend.  I gotta believe others would do the same.  Thus sorting out the overcrowding in the end without giving "big bro" another foothold.

Ok..what about a tram or ski lift?   lol

I remember back about 27-28 years ago or so my friend Chris and I would walk along the base of those crags and shake our heads at what a shame it was that there were no lines on most of those cliffs...you couldn't get anyone to go to Rumney because it was dirty, wet and had crappy pro. Funny how life changes...
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »

Al, Those places don't even exist! What are you talking about? ;D

LOL
Al Hospers

DLottmann

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »

How many quickdraws do I need?

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

How many quickdraws do I need?

About 15 should do it at Owl's Cliff for the sport routes including the long face climbs on the right cliff  ;) Of course you will miss out on all the mixed and trad routes.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

I bet parking at Rumney will not be an issue this coming weekend!

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »

Maybe the Forest Service should sell weekday/non-holiday passes to Rumney at a reduced rate like the ski areas ;) :D

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:56 PM »

I was at Rumney all week and we had every cliff we visited (except Bonsai yesterday) to ourselves. 

And I'm guessing that even on the weekend when there was no parking the Summit Cliff and Monolith had zero climbers. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:17:08 PM by eyebolter »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 23 queries.