Author Topic: Stop the Madness!  (Read 3328 times)

DLottmann

Re: Stop the Madness!
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2004, 01:38:39 pm »
As far as the closest available clean pro to the Funhouse pin, you can get a good nut a few inches under it, and a bomber cam right above it, I beleive either a BD .3 or .4 or its equivilent.  In response to an above poster who mentioned removing pins scars the rock, keep in mind that so does replacing them.  The decision to replace them should be weighed against whether they are likely to be stolen again, among other things.

Offline rustyrat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2004, 01:43:27 pm »
Has it crossed anyones mind that we must be an amazingly boring lot, with way too much time on our hands if we've dedicated so much time and effort to something of such little concequence and importance in the big picture of life!

Offline t-rad

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2004, 02:35:26 pm »
in the larger scheme, i think the way in which climbers decide to interact with their environment serves as an example that others look to.  i don't think this issue is trivial at all.  i'm glad to hear people air this out.

-a

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2004, 03:19:21 pm »
 ::)You know i am pretty bored if i am arguing about gear that may or may not fit in a photograph ::)

Offline slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2004, 03:20:00 pm »
hooray rustyrat!
pins disappear occasionally.  and then they get put back.  or, sometimes they don't.  and then everybody deals with it.  e.g. there's a pin on they died laughing that is certainly unnecessary... and only historical.  if i removed it i wouldn't feel bad at all, and i also wouldn't be responsible for anyone else's leader falls.  but i'm not going to --and this is the point-- because it's been there, always, within the span of my memory.  
same as top of upper refuse.  
how 'bout some real news... any bolts getting chopped these days?  anyone out doing some really fun climbing?

Offline rustyrat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2004, 05:37:49 pm »
psssst, I hear all the bolts on the 5.8 at Rumney got chopped!

Offline rustyrat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2004, 05:38:23 pm »
Just kidding!!!!!

Offline Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2004, 07:11:10 am »
Wow, I leave on a buisness trip for a few days and this all blows up.  Thanks Al for taking the initiative to do something about a problem.  It really bugs me when people bitch and moan but don't do anything.  
  Stealing the original pins was wrong.  Plain and simple.  That bastard should go up there and spend some time trying to clean out that stump they left behind.  
   I won't pretend to know anything about the history of those pins or of the climbs.  Those pins themselves can't be historical, so calling them valuable artifacts is silly.  If they aren't needed and the route now goes clean, then so be it. If you can get bomber gear about and below it, that why is it there?  I don't think replacing it was ethicaly wrong, but perhaps it was just unneccisary.  I guess it depends on who is buying the replacements and how often these things get swiped.  From my own experience and what I've heard, some of the other pins were neccisary, and needed to be replaced.  I don't know why everyone is focusing on this redundant funhouse pin.  I wish the climbing community was this vocal about trail maintenace and erosion prevention.  
   I don't know why I am so cranky this morning.  Maybe we should all just go climb a freakin rock.

Schandy

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2004, 07:52:25 am »
frik: Actually frik, although I have both Cote guides, and was carrying pins and a hammer when the first one came out, I checked my Ross/Ellms guide to see my notes as to when I first climbed funhouse. I quite believe that the pin wasn't still there when you led it. At that unenlightened time we considered all resident pins which we could remove as eligible booty--unfortunately my second at the time of my ascent couldn't get it out ;D. such is life. Now I believe in leaving them in place. Jeff