NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: camalot triggers  (Read 419 times)

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
camalot triggers
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »

So I have a very generous friend who is letting me use his old camalots on long term loan.  They've been great and an upgrade from what I had, but I'm having trouble with the trigger wire coming out of the groove/hook on the trigger.  Its not structurally compromising to the cam or hard to replace, at least on the ground.  But on lead, not exactly what I wanted to see when wanting to slam in a #1.  Anybody have clues to remedy this?  I tried a dab of super glue to see if it needed just a bit  of "help" staying adhered.  I thought about a bit of epoxy for a more permanent bond, but have fears regarding not being able to replace the trigger wires down the road.  Or, is the age of a little piece of plastic the cause?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Again, this a non-weight-bearing part of the cam so a bit of work on it won't weaken it unless I pull a bonehead move and glue the lobes together and make it a really funny looking and expensive stopper.

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
Re: camalot triggers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »

So I have a very generous friend who is letting me use his old camalots on long term loan.  They've been great and an upgrade from what I had, but I'm having trouble with the trigger wire coming out of the groove/hook on the trigger.  Its not structurally compromising to the cam or hard to replace, at least on the ground.  But on lead, not exactly what I wanted to see when wanting to slam in a #1.  Anybody have clues to remedy this?  I tried a dab of super glue to see if it needed just a bit  of "help" staying adhered.  I thought about a bit of epoxy for a more permanent bond, but have fears regarding not being able to replace the trigger wires down the road.  Or, is the age of a little piece of plastic the cause?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Again, this a non-weight-bearing part of the cam so a bit of work on it won't weaken it unless I pull a bonehead move and glue the lobes together and make it a really funny looking and expensive stopper.

I thought you you were gonna play with your wood today. 5:30 am and cams on the brain lol..

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »

I'd think a VERY generous friend would loan you his/her NEW Camalots, and you wouldn't be having this issue.

In the absence of that, if the keeper tab on the trigger is intact and trigger itself isn't deformed, it seems the only way the wire should jump would be slack.  Any of the swages stripped?  Buttons through the cams flattened, allowing the solid wire to back out? 
Only other thing I could see on an old unit would be wear on the stopper collar between the trigger and head, allowing longer return of the trigger and introducing slack in the system.

Any of this, I'd replace the wires (pretty easy); other thought would be a little cable tie if it will behave out of the way.
Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »

This usually only happens to me when I am totally gripped and desperate! last time was on the #4.  cause for me was the grinding it took groveling up the chimny. Simply get the wires where they are supposed to be  on the ground and tape them in place. problem solved.

hobbsj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:32 PM »

Only other thing I could see on an old unit would be wear on the stopper collar between the trigger and head, allowing longer return of the trigger and introducing slack in the system.

Any of this, I'd replace the wires (pretty easy); other thought would be a little cable tie if it will behave out of the way.
Dale

I think we found the answer.  I noticed the triggers do move up a bit excessively causing slack and never thought that they should have a stop built in.  I think the zip-ties should remedy that.  With the constant tension, they should stay under the lip Thanks for the idea Dale!

And Patrick, I did play with the wood.  I finished Jill's jewelry holder and got the wood cut for the firewood box.  I know its not a lot, but my woodworking is even slower than my leading!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:44:33 PM by hobbsj »

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »

Dale

I think we found the answer.  I noticed the triggers do move up a bit excessively causing slack and never thought that they should have a stop built in.  I think the zip-ties should remedy that.  With the constant tension, they should stay under the lip Thanks for the idea Dale!

And Patrick, I did play with the wood.  I finished Jill's jewelry holder and got the wood cut for the firewood box.  I know its not a lot, but my woodworking is even slower than my leading!

5:30 am and thinking about cams...

My wood comment either went right over you head, was not that slick and or funny, or you chose to ignore it?

So what i really wanna know is if you got to break out the Milk paint lol!!

Yup 35 and stuck at 13....... I'm such a freaking idiot i make myself literally lol listening to the stupid shit that runs through my head.

And your leading is not as slow as you think. Pretty solid if you ask me. Shit that feels easy breezy 50 ft off the ground seems a bit more complicated a couple hundred ft up.

Remember as you said i am not really much help plus you got your hands full protecting like my nuwb ass might fall off a 5.6 at given time ;)

You find someone to get out with tomorrow?

My pup is wicked sick. I got home only to find out he spent the day throwing up and shitting all freaking weird. He got sick again tonight and is still all lethargic. Good thing everyone is busy the next couple weeks as i think he is gonna need my help for at least a few days?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 1.01 seconds with 22 queries.