General > Climbing Gear Q & A

camalot triggers

(1/2) > >>

hobbsj:
So I have a very generous friend who is letting me use his old camalots on long term loan.  They've been great and an upgrade from what I had, but I'm having trouble with the trigger wire coming out of the groove/hook on the trigger.  Its not structurally compromising to the cam or hard to replace, at least on the ground.  But on lead, not exactly what I wanted to see when wanting to slam in a #1.  Anybody have clues to remedy this?  I tried a dab of super glue to see if it needed just a bit  of "help" staying adhered.  I thought about a bit of epoxy for a more permanent bond, but have fears regarding not being able to replace the trigger wires down the road.  Or, is the age of a little piece of plastic the cause?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Again, this a non-weight-bearing part of the cam so a bit of work on it won't weaken it unless I pull a bonehead move and glue the lobes together and make it a really funny looking and expensive stopper.

apbt1976:

--- Quote from: hobbsj on April 19, 2012, 07:28:01 AM ---So I have a very generous friend who is letting me use his old camalots on long term loan.  They've been great and an upgrade from what I had, but I'm having trouble with the trigger wire coming out of the groove/hook on the trigger.  Its not structurally compromising to the cam or hard to replace, at least on the ground.  But on lead, not exactly what I wanted to see when wanting to slam in a #1.  Anybody have clues to remedy this?  I tried a dab of super glue to see if it needed just a bit  of "help" staying adhered.  I thought about a bit of epoxy for a more permanent bond, but have fears regarding not being able to replace the trigger wires down the road.  Or, is the age of a little piece of plastic the cause?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Again, this a non-weight-bearing part of the cam so a bit of work on it won't weaken it unless I pull a bonehead move and glue the lobes together and make it a really funny looking and expensive stopper.

--- End quote ---

I thought you you were gonna play with your wood today. 5:30 am and cams on the brain lol..

perswig:
I'd think a VERY generous friend would loan you his/her NEW Camalots, and you wouldn't be having this issue.

In the absence of that, if the keeper tab on the trigger is intact and trigger itself isn't deformed, it seems the only way the wire should jump would be slack.  Any of the swages stripped?  Buttons through the cams flattened, allowing the solid wire to back out? 
Only other thing I could see on an old unit would be wear on the stopper collar between the trigger and head, allowing longer return of the trigger and introducing slack in the system.

Any of this, I'd replace the wires (pretty easy); other thought would be a little cable tie if it will behave out of the way.
Dale

tradmanclimbz:
This usually only happens to me when I am totally gripped and desperate! last time was on the #4.  cause for me was the grinding it took groveling up the chimny. Simply get the wires where they are supposed to be  on the ground and tape them in place. problem solved.

hobbsj:

--- Quote from: perswig on April 19, 2012, 06:09:04 PM ---
Only other thing I could see on an old unit would be wear on the stopper collar between the trigger and head, allowing longer return of the trigger and introducing slack in the system.

Any of this, I'd replace the wires (pretty easy); other thought would be a little cable tie if it will behave out of the way.
Dale

--- End quote ---

I think we found the answer.  I noticed the triggers do move up a bit excessively causing slack and never thought that they should have a stop built in.  I think the zip-ties should remedy that.  With the constant tension, they should stay under the lip Thanks for the idea Dale!

And Patrick, I did play with the wood.  I finished Jill's jewelry holder and got the wood cut for the firewood box.  I know its not a lot, but my woodworking is even slower than my leading!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version