NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tc Pro or Mythos..  (Read 5202 times)

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
Tc Pro or Mythos..
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »

What are peoples thoughts.

I have tried the Mythos on and they fit my feet awesome. I have terribly battered injured feet so comfy shoes matter to me more than most.

On the other hand being new to climbing i have worn a beginners shoe 5-10 Coyote and not so beginner shoe LS Katana. I wish my dogs could handle the Katanas but they destroy my achilles. They climb like a dream in comparison to my Coyotes, so much so it makes me want to suffer the Katanas out however i just can't do it.

For micro and small edges and smearing how do the Mythos and TcPros compare to each other. I really want something stiff that edges well for the small stuff you start to find around 5-10 b and up.

slink

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Tc Pro or Mythos..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »

Been climbing on Mythos for years and they are a great all around shoe. I think with battered feet find something that feels good.Most shoes now have good rubber and any brand will work well under 5.12.BLASPHEMY :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:09:42 AM by slink »
bailing is not failing!!!

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »

Been climbing on Mythos for years and they are a great all around shoe. I think with battered feet find something that feels good.Most shoes now have good rubber and any brand will work well under 5.12.BLASPHEMY :P

Thanks Slink.

I agree anything will work. On the other hand my Coyotes feel like chopped liver after being given a taste of rib eye with the Katanas.

I can climb anything in my coyotes that i could wit the Katanas however the Katanas def give me extra confidence in my footwork and i feel like i can hold onto much small features with ease than i could in the Coyotes.

JBrochu

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »

Mythos don't fit my feet properly so I've never used them, but I know a lot of people who love them. My main climbing partners wear them, and they are primarily slab and face climbers. But I've also climbed with plenty of people who wear them crack climbing, and also another partner who wore them for the Gunks. I guess what I'm saying is if they fit your feet well, it's probably going to be hard to find a better all around shoe for you.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »

First step is to try both on and see how they FEEL TO YOU before dwelling on theoretical differences.  In theory the Mythos will be a more versatile all around shoe that should adapt itself to your foot better then the TC Pro.  On the other hand the TC Pro is going to be very durable and if your forte is standing on time edges all the time it will be better at it. 

fresh

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »

you'll do fine edging with mythos on slabby to vertical terrain, but you'll have a harder time with overhanging boulder problems/sport routes. for smearing they are the bomb. lots of hard routes have been put up with mythos, into the 13's for sure.

that said, the TC Pro is definitely a better edger. but, edging is more about crunching your toes and raising your heels anyway. sure, you'll edge better with the TC Pro's than with mythos, but the difference that good technique makes is orders of magnitude more than the difference a more aggressive shoe makes. just make sure you're focusing on the right things :-)

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »

I do agree focusing on the wrong thing will not solve anything and if anything only put a temporary band aid on it. I assure you that is not my game.

I have a small cunundrum on my hands. I have there Katanas that can and will be returned to EMS. I have tried on the Mythos and they fit like well broken in glove right outa the box. I have heard the TCPros edge a bit better and are also a great all around shoe. Only problem is i can not find any on a shelf local to me to try on and see how they fit on my feet. When i am north i always climb to till all the stores that do stock them close  and miss out on that option. 

Really i am just trying to figure out if it is worth ordering the TCPros just to try them on and see how they fit my feet when i already know the Mythos fit perfect. If they are that much better a shoe and also fit  my feet i would say it would be worth it to play the mail order size game?

Thanks for the help!

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »

Mythos (or at least the old ones) were easy on my feet and comfy for me but I switched to Miura and Katana Lace for more edging power/confidence.  That said, for you, a shoe that fits you well and you feel comfortable with should be more important than the more subtle differences among shoes.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »

I kinda see it this way. I really do not want to put 4 pairs of shoes on my credit card. Two sizes each shoe...

The Mythos i know fit my feet very well and with my foot problems probably makes the most sense? If anything they will always be a great go to all day trad climbing shoe to have that i am sure i will not regret having?

I guess when am in the right place at the right time and have the opportunity to try on other shoes right off the shelf i will fond a more aggressive shoe that fits my foot. Without getting hung up ont he shoes doing the work for me i def did notice the Katanas perform much better than the Coyote on stuff in the 5-10b and up range. Below that for me i agree any old shoe will do, who knows maybe even at that level any shoe should still do?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »

can't compare, cause I haven't used Mythos. however I love my TC Pro shoes. got them at the end of last season & they really climb everything very well. FWIW I like hard friction & thin face the best.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DGoguen

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

Climbed with Mythos for years, then Miuras, now TC pro.
Mythos are great, but I have really wide feet and they seemed to stretch the most of the three for me. Not good. That was the main issue for me and they didn't fit very well at the end of their life. A couple pair per season.
Got the TC pros on clearance so the price wasn't as crazy. I think they edge better and are definitely more durable. We'll see about the stretch with my Fred Fintstone feet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:09:37 PM by DGoguen »

frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

If you do end up heading towards the Mythos, be forewarned that they will stretch alot, probably close to a half size.This is especially troublesome for high end edging and smear jobs. Get them as tight as you can stand, which could be trixy considering your podiatary concerns.  Can't comment on other pumps.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »

If you do end up heading towards the Mythos, be forewarned that they will stretch alot, probably close to a half size.This is especially troublesome for high end edging and smear jobs.
All true and the reason for me to switch to Miura and Katana Lace.  I have narrow feet and the Mythos used to stretch side-to-side so much that edging becomes a problem after 6~9 months.  Mythos is still not toe-down, right?  I prefer a little toe-down in my shoes.

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »

I have not worn the Mythos but I love my TC pros. They edge very well and are super stable. Last year I laughed my way up a crack because they felt amazing and worked so well. The ankle protection was a big point that drew me toward them, on sale of course. You need to really train that tongue not to roll on you at first. I will say though that they are not the best for me on slab. I like to be able to really get my foot flat and have as much contact as I can get and I just can't get the TC pro's flat enough. For slab I use...yes 5.10 coyotes...they get flat really well and are super comfey after a resole. For you other TC pro users...what rubber are you going to use when you resole?
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »

I have had Mythos. Loved them! Now I have TC Pros. I really like them alot! The stiffer toe box is nice to my abused toe joints, and the extra rubber makes them even more comfy. They seem to slab climb well and edge amazingly. I have done some crack climbing in them, and am impressed.  Longevity? Not sure yet. Only had em for a month
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 23 queries.