NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removable bolts  (Read 121 times)

MNatti

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Removable bolts
« on: April 11, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »

O.K., so I just got a drill.  I have read many online battles about the great bolt wars, and although I have a few local spots that I would love to put some bolts at (even if they are just for T.R. set ups) I certainly don't want to be "that guy."  After a friend told me about these removable bolts, I thought that would be a great "lower" impact solution.  I'm just curious if anyone has used them or knows anything about them.  I know the 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch are the only ones rated for actual climbing (1/4" + 5/8" are only for aid), but that's about all I could muster up on them.  I guess I'm just looking for as much input on this subject as possible.  Thanx.

Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Removable bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:25:13 AM »

never used them myself.  Before you even think of adding bolts or holes or whatever to an established area, make sure you check to the local ethic.  What I've heard about RB's is that the holes can be hard to find, they can get clogged with crap/ice on less than vert and that they can become easily fixed if fallen on.  I always thought they were more of an aid climbing thing that never quite took off.  If you use well camoed hangers then the end result is about the same, except you don't need a specialized $40 widget to clip the bolt.  Although, in light of recent fixed gear theft...  
My opinion is if you are going to drill in the crag situation finish the job and put in a good solid camoed bolt.  

ed_esmond

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • if you can't laugh at yourself..
Re: Removable bolts
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 06:27:09 PM »

i've used them and didn't think they were that great.... the wire bent easily and they wer hard to clean (you need to push in with a small screwdriver while pulling out on the trigger.... not really easy.)

personally, i agree that a couple of stainless rawl/powers bolts with 40kn hangers (fixe and petzl  make them) are the best solution.  make sure the bolts are long enough for the rock your bolting....  longer bolts for softer (like shist) rock and shorter ones for harder rock like granite.

and as mentioned... camo them well.
pragmatic: (adj) dealing with the problems that exist in a specific situation in a reasonable and logical way instead of depending on ideas and theories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.