NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Good books  (Read 1284 times)

neiceclimber

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Good books
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »

Going on a little excursion and was wondering what good books (instant classics) people have read lately?

Where I'm going will be cold, so books about expedition deprivation and freezing temps is not really appealing, i.e. no Shackleton or Simpson stories.

I generally buy used, so late breaking, hot off the press, top 20 books usually are a little harder to come by.

Climber57r

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Good books
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

Well I have been reading a few different books. But one that comes to mind is Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. An easy read and I found it inspired and motivated me to overcome many obstacles in my life/climbing.  :D but the truth. Enjoy your trip.
Good Times + Good Climbs

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »

Tiger--will scare the shit out of you and very highly rec  the wave,, equal parts surfing and ship sinking

gaiagirl

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »

If you haven't read A Walk in the Woods, you must.  If you've read it 6 times, you need to go for 7  ;D.  Beyond the outdoors theme, it's simply one of the funniest books I've ever read .... and I like to laugh.  For something completely unrealted to climbing and outdoor pursuits, try anything by Carl Hiaasen --- Sick Puppy and Nature Girl are 2 of his best IMHO.  His novels are insane roller-coaster rides of weirdness, good and evil.  You'll thank me later  :)

For non-fiction, try The Devil's Teeth.  I won't try to describe it here; I'm guessing the title alone is enough of a hook. 
Enjoy!

eyebolter

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »

I liked Way of the Peaceful Warrior as well.  Carols Castaneda's books pre-date his, and IMHO are much better.  Start with "Journey to Ixtlan."

But then I would also recommend "1984,"  "Animal Farm," "Brave New World," "Shadows of Power: the Council on Foreign Relations and the American Decline," and "A People's History of the United States."

If you are looking for a light read, I recommend the Hunger Games.  Get the second and third books, because every single person I know who has read the first book has read all three.

sneoh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »

Bill Bryson's books are witty and insightful.
Sample Paul Theroux's books if you like 'travel adventure'.

The older classics are probably too heavy when you are in the mountains.
1984 and Animal Farms are classics, not too heavy, and a must if you have not read them.
Ditto for Catch 22.

Are you looking for fiction or non?

"You have to decide to do a flag, where you can broke your vertebrae or a barn door depending of your pro" - the poster formerly known as Champ

JChepes

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  Best sci-fi of the decade if your into that sort of thing.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »

Any of those collections of short stories by "Anonymous" ..lots of bottom spanking etc. You may want to warn your tentmates in case you end up with an extra tent pole, lol. 

I haven't gotten past the "A" section of authors in the book store yet, so I can't help you with others.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

xcrag_corex

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »

The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City by Jennifer Toth . awesome read. see how "the other side" live..... come to think of it i am closer to that side :-[ ... hahaha any how its a good one.
-Jeremy Ballou

"know how to rock, ain't afraid to roll"

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »

i your into music, i just finished "the wrecking crew'   maybe the greatest, least known session musicians ever. Just amazing stuff. Also "backstage pass"  about the promoter who among other things booked hendrix, janis Joplin and the Doors in one weekend. Also the U2 Red Rocks show and Led Zep's first US gig

apbt1976

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

i your into music, i just finished "the wrecking crew'   maybe the greatest, least known session musicians ever. Just amazing stuff. Also "backstage pass"  about the promoter who among other things booked hendrix, janis Joplin and the Doors in one weekend. Also the U2 Red Rocks show and Led Zep's first US gig

Who was that?

The promoter......

strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »

Barry Fey

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »

Wrecking Crew is a great read. that said apparently Carole Kaye, the bass player, disagrees with a lot of the stuff in there. apparently lots of the info came from Hal Blaine, the drummer. I'm very interested in the movie, whenever it makes it out.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »

Walk in the woods is a quick easy read but i've heard that AWOL on the appalachian trail   and   Barefoot Sisters   are better AT books.    haven't had a chance to get them yet though. 

Al,   have you read  Roadie  http://www.amazon.com/Roadie-Misunderstood-World-Bike-Racer/dp/1934030171    it is pretty good. 
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »

Al,   have you read  Roadie  http://www.amazon.com/Roadie-Misunderstood-World-Bike-Racer/dp/1934030171    it is pretty good. 

have not read it Jake, I'll check it out..  thanks
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 23 queries.