Author Topic: House Made of Dawn, new 11 slab pitch at Green's  (Read 1138 times)

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
House Made of Dawn, new 11 slab pitch at Green's
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »
There is a nice new 10 bolt (I think ) slab route out at Green's, at the Main Cliff, between Black Flies CJD and Green Party. It is the approach pitch to the steep flake project above. It is on really good quality rock and is a full half rope length. I cleaned and mostly bolted it last Fall, and went out with Dave Powers this weekend to finish it. I gave him the chance for the unchalked on-site, which he managed handily. It felt about 11a in the perfect slab climbing temps we had, but we are calling it 11b for now so not to sandbag too much for normal temps. It awaits your confirmation.

We also did some cleaning. The second pitch of Stewart's Crack is almost good to go (probably already much cleaner than when Jim Dunn first did it) and Dave cleaned His 12a Moldy Bolts to pretty spic and span. That thing is hard!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:34:17 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: New 11 slab pitch at Green's
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
nice Mark...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline alclimbup2

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:25 AM »
How is your knee doing Mark?

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »
How is your knee doing Mark?

It has been fine so far, thanks. I have been carefull to not crank really hard up the hills when hiking and paying attention to my form when jumarring so as not to torque it too much. I am also planning to do regular light biking to strengthen the muscles around them. I have been told that helps a lot.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »
How was cleaning Stewart's ??  P2 looked hideous.

Green's will have 100 quality pitches.. easy

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
Re: House Made of Dawn, new 11 slab pitch at Green's
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Digging the big stuff out was not too bad. I had a little hand mattock. There are some old dead roots in some of the jams that I may have to break apart with a wood chisel (or just leave for a year). The fine cleaning to make it super nice may take another day, but I may leave that for Amy to finish, as she volunteered. My attention already got waylaid by the thin seem to the right, which I put a TR anchor on to work. It goes up off the same big belay  ledge, and is super technical thin edge climbing to a line of one finger solution pockets up the seam. It is an open project if anybody wants to get on it. I did pretty much all the moves on TR the other day, but don't want to put any lead bolts in it until I am sure it goes and I finish  another line. It would be a sport pitch since there is no real gear.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:38:05 PM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline terminusnout

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
I commend you on cleaning that second pitch, when I did stewart's in 2007 I took one look at the pitch and rapped. That's a hefty cleaning effort. Have you had pretty consistent weather out there lately? I was up near the captian last weekend and it was around 15 degrees overnight and pissing snow. Long approach from 302 though, even with bikes.

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
I am making Green's a top proprity this year. Sounds like some great routes out there. Thanks for all your efforts Mark, it will be great having another backcountry destination.

grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Offline mopowers

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
I am making Green's a top proprity this year

Green's is one of the most impressive pieces of stone around. Be sure to get out there Grammy. Stewart's Crack has been on my mind since i last was there. Two pitches of jamming that is just my speed, 5.9 or so. Greenpeace is also another amazing two pitch crack. Its a great lead even if you have to french free through the hard parts like i do.

Post up when you think you might make it out there. It would be fun to meet up with some fellow NEclimbers and go out for a day.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
It looks like CrazyTom and partner got the first post cleaning ascent of the second pitch of Stewart's. The top anchor only has one bolt (1/2") so far since I ran out of hangers, but there is a pine tree near it that you can sling as a back-up. I put the top anchor a little below the lip, to save the tree and protect the top of the cliff, since it will be a popular route for the cliff. (Edit- The top anchor now has both bolts in) If you really feel the need to top out, it is only two easy moves and you can crawl into the vegetation, but I don't recommend it. Dima did a bunch more finish cleaning on the second pitch, so it should be in pretty good shape.

I didn't climb it yet, since it was wet when I was there, but I checked and you can use a #4 and 5 Camalot if you have them for the wide section.  Bring doubles of the red and especially gold sized Camalots for the first pitch.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/107606195
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:42:26 PM by M_Sprague »

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
You probably already answered this but....... how far/long is it by mountain bike to Greens. Its probably been 15 years since I have Mountain biked out in that area.
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

Offline strandman

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
Would you say about an hour Mark ? then some hiking.

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 09:19:11 PM »
I think that is about right, John. The whole way, if you bike Rob Brook Rd and bike/push by Birch hill, then dump the bike and hike is about 2 hrs  at a semi leisurely pace, slightly faster if you don't mind the river ford and come in directly from the Kanc. A few weeks ago, hiking in all the way at an easy pace via Rob Brook, it was about 2:15-30. I have had it take as much as 4 hours getting in, but that was with a ridiculously big pack and trudging like a snail. Cruising out, I can make it in about an hour with the bike.

I've got the latest version  of directions and maps on mountainproject if the ones here are not clear enough. The key is to get a good early start while it is cool. I am planning on the end of this week, but I bet the bugs will be hideous now for a while, especially along Birch Hill.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
yes, the bugs are terrible in the deep woods now...
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com